Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM 8.12 beta 2 expired , Will there be a new beta / stable version soon? » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 8162

Jan-Christoph Ihrens

Posted: 03/01/2018 13:21:35

Hi,

I'm using AWM 8.12 beta 2. When I started my computer today, AWM told me it's expired. Will there be a new beta or stable version soon? Or should I install version 8.11.3 again? On the other hand, AWM still seems to work for the moment...

Cheers,
Jan

--
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Jan-Christoph Ihrens

Posted: 03/01/2018 13:45:16

Hm, well, at least it worked for a few minutes before shutting down.  :D

--
You have moved the mouse. Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 03/02/2018 01:18:36

Hi Jan-Christoph,

Sorry for a delay, we plan to release the final version 8.12 tomorrow (on Friday, March 2). Please be patient, we have to make some final polishes.

Jan-Christoph Ihrens

Posted: 03/02/2018 02:18:50

Hi Alex,

thank you very much for your reply.

I'll try to be patient, but I'm so accustomed to using AWM that it's really a torture to work without it (using three screens and really a lot of programs)...  ;)

--

Tom Wolf

Posted: 03/02/2018 21:58:22

I know exactly what you're talking about...

MGhell
Advanced user

Posted: 03/03/2018 14:16:56

A suggestion to the developers:

Why do you have to shutdown AWM as soon as the beta date is expired?

Isn't it better for you and for your customers if you just show the expiry hint window, maybe - if you so wish - with an increasing amount of seconds the longer it is expired?

That would:

- take the pressure off yourselves and
- would save us from having to install an older version without the patches

Regards,

Max

System:
DUAL WIN7 (32bit)/WIN10 PRO (64bit)
CPU Q9550S
4GB RAM
Nvidia 460GTX

Tom Wolf

Posted: 03/03/2018 19:14:57

2nd that!

For now we're not able to use it.

Sergey Bolshakow

Posted: 03/04/2018 02:04:50

Alex Fadeyev wrote:
Hi Jan-Christoph,
Sorry for a delay, we plan to release the final version 8.12 tomorrow (on Friday, March 2). Please be patient, we have to make some final polishes.

Hello
when can be next beta version ?

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 03/04/2018 02:35:03

It's unfortunate but it is what it is. It is also a timely reminder that a beta testing program is that. It's not a guaranteed, fully supported product. Because the betas are usually so reliable, we have been lulled into a false sense of confidence, we expect the betas to be as good as the full releases. By delaying the release of the next beta, Alex and team and ensuring that they maintain the same high standard of the betas.

We should all have a copy of the last full release handy so that when a beta expires, we can revert to a working non-expired copy until the replacement beta is released. It should be an obligation for every beta tester.

The team is quite right to stick to the expiry system. It's unfortunate when there are delays but it enables the team to ensure they keep a tight control on what's out there. They don't want to waste time answering questions and investigating problems arising from copies of betas that shouldn't be being used.

YES, IT'S INCONVENIENT BUT THAT'S LIFE AS A BETA TESTER. I for one want Alex and the team to be completely satisfied with what they give us to test. Alex, release it when you are ready and not a moment before.

Jan-Christoph Ihrens

Posted: 03/04/2018 06:25:13

I for one want Alex and the team to be completely satisfied with what they give us to test. Alex, release it when you are ready and not a moment before.

It has already been released; I installed the new version several hours before your posting.  ;)

Being a developer myself, I do know what a beta version is. And of course I can always switch back to an older version - that's what I finally did. And I do prefer polished final versions and I'm willing to wait for them.

Nevertheless it's indeed a little bit unfortunate that it's necessary to switch back for a few days. It would be nice if there was a way to extend the beta license for a few days. The software could contact the server after a beta license expiry; when there's no new beta or final version, a new expiration date could be sent by the server. There are methods to do this in a way that misuse is impossible. The team would have full control, they could take all the time they need, and no user would have to take action until the new version is out.

--

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register