Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM 8.7 Beta 1 - Default Settings , Align at startup to » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 3016

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 12/31/2015 09:42:51

Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit
AWM 8.7, Beta 1
---

Gentlemen, I've been using AWM for years, and I continue to encounter extreme difficulty in managing my windows. One of the sources of this concern is AWM not supporting in the Default Settings:

1.) Position > Change Window Position Automatically > "Align at startup to:"
2.) Position > Options > "Save position on exit"

I've requested this capability in the past and, as I recall, was informed it would generate too many 'definitions' for the windows created. I don't see this occurring, as the only windows for which this would apply would be those displayed/visual windows. This feature would allow for creating significantly fewer "Specific Settings" definitions which under the current design and inheritance model are extremely difficult to manage, and it is an endless task to create new window definitions to implement as basic feature which one is applying to virtually all windows.

I've rebuilt my OS system fr om the ground up, fresh AWM installation, and creating the definitions fr om scratch and I don't see any reasonable solutions or workarounds to achieve my basic requirements for all displayed applications:

1.) Display any window on the visible Desktop real estate (regardless of the monitor configuration or resolution specifications). AND/OR:
  1.A) Have the ability for the end-user to display a tool showing graphically wh ere off screen windows appear AND a list of those windows with the ability to bring onto the visible Desktop.

1.B.) If any displayed window is off the visible Desktop it is brought onto the visible Desktop (user-defined location).

2.) All windows or dialogs for a host application (the main window, the visual window owning the process) are displayed center within that application's main window. This would be for all windows in-process or out-of-process (as in called by another application which acts as if it is part of the host application). Obviously, there are some out-of-process application calls which would be excluded. However, an inclusion list, definition, or configuration would exist for each hosted application in-and-out-of-process. (Example: XYplorer, Explorer -- these have both in-process, out-of-process windows, such as file copy, delete, rename, etc., and excluded would be host applications executed from therein such as Excel).

3.) Relative to #2 above, prevention of child-windows going behind the host application window resulting with extremely difficult or impossible to bring forward window -- usually some confirmation dialog/window needing end-user interaction (i.e., a dialog to save a file).

4.) Saving my last position, sizing for each application, window or dialog and loaded in the same location next time. However, if one has a multi-monitor configuration, or even a single monitor, changes like a monitor is missing, or the resolution changes on one, or more of the monitors, the ability to bring those windows onto the other available monitors in a graceful way is needed with absolute minimal effort by the end-user. Further, if and when the effected windows have the monitor resolution or monitor(s) become available the end-user would be notified, perhaps with a small graphical representation of the monitor configuration onscreen with the location of the restored windows option could be achieved with just a click of acceptance and all would return to the prior conditions. This would be a dynamic feature which would allow power to the end-user to use their Desktop with minimizing wasted time from constant modifications.

5.) There needs to be intelligence with AWM in regards to the nasty #32770 window class wh ere something like an end-user clicking an option on the #32770 window would associate that specific instance (the association of that #32770 window with the application/window parent). This way each application which would bring up the open, browser, etc. windows could have the position, size saved uniquely for each host application.

6.) Currently, I have a #32770 Specific Setting which says Change Window Position Automatically > Move at startup to monitor > Of parent window. "Align at startup to" does not have any position ability to Align to the Parent Window.

These are the types of new features needed.

Sincerely,
Lars

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register