Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM > Window Settings > Default Settings , Default Settings » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 7076

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 07/05/2014 18:50:43

AWM 8.2 Beta 4: (was occurring in Beta 3, not sure when it started occurring)

I'm finding AWM > Window Settings > Default Settings are being enforced when UNCHECKED (as in the Tree View Default Settings is unchecked, yet the configuration settings thereunder are being executed). Not a behavior I'd expect.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/07/2014 16:54:05

Zardoz, thank you for your message!

I have tried unchecking Default Settings and found out that at least there is no unexpected Moving to monitor, no title buttons and no window menu.

Please add some details to your report:
  • Which windows are affected? If all of them, please give a couple examples.
  • Which actions are applied to them?
  • How often can it be reproduced?
  • Is there a difference depending on whether Specific Settings are enabled or disabled?
  • Is there anything else about the issue that might be important?

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 07/07/2014 18:44:40

Hi Alexander,

I have a dual monitor system configuration.

Once I found what was causing the strange behavior I unchecked everything under the Default Settings. The one thing I do remember, and just tested again, with the same results:

Default Settings = unchecked
Change Window Position Automatically > Restrict placement > Left/Top/Right/Bottom = checked with corresponding values.

Left   = 2560 pixels
Top    = -198 pixels
Right  =    0 pixels
Bottom =    0 pixels

Occurs 100 percent of the time for me. I believe the problem described below is why I originally unchecked it a while back.

The issue gets even more complicated based on the problem I describe in the "Note" below.

Selected Apply and immediately notepad fr om the other monitor appeared on the monitor where AWM is located (as per the position constraints).

---
NOTE: Indirectly the "Default Settings = unchecked acts if checked, concern also brings up a major concern I have with AWM dealing with a dual monitor configuration. AWM does not support different monitor screen size topologies. I really feel this needs to be addressed. Take at your end and attach two monitors where you can make one landscape and the other portrait and you will see a whole bunch of problems: the desktop is incorrectly calculated (try press the 'Show' button to see what it thinks its area is, results will be different depending on what monitor AWM is executed fr om). Really each monitor needs to have its own monitor size, position restriction configuration. In my case Primary monitor #1 is 2560x1440 landscape (on the left); Secondary monitor #2 portrait is 1440x2560 (on the right)

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/14/2014 17:01:39

Lars, thank you for your reply. Can you confirm that the problem is that when you adjust disabled Default Settings, you get the similar changes in all the Specific Settings?

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 07/15/2014 02:45:34

AWM > Window Settings > Default Settings = UNCHECKED

Performed *random* (not all tested) selection of some attributes, and ALL provided their ability when they should had any effect as the default settings was unchecked:

Default Settings > Startup > Remove taskbar entry = CHECKED
Default Settings > Startup > Make transparent = CHECKED
Default Settings > Closing > Prevent window's accidental close = CHECKED
Default Settings > Position > Restrict placement = CHECKED
Default Settings > Size > Fix maximal size to = CHECKED
Default Settings > Minimizing > Options > Tray = CHECKED
Default Settings > Title Buttons > Copy/Cut = CHECKED

Does that help (please not, I did not test all options, just a small subset)?

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/15/2014 17:18:32

While I was trying to reproduce the issue, and found out that when I, for example, make

Actual Window Manager > Window Settings > Default Settings = UNCHECKED
Default Settings > Position > Restrict placement = CHECKED

I get the Restrict placement feature working. But then I found out that Restrict placement had become enabled in all the Specific Settings, while it had not been enabled by me. It seems that when you adjust any options in Default Settings, they get applied to all the Specific Settings by an error.

Could you check if it this is what makes Actual Window Manager's undesired behavior?

Check if the Default Settings apply to programs not included in your Specific Settings and please try to disable all your Specific Settings and check if the Default Settings apply or not.

Thank you in advance!

support@actualtools.com

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/23/2014 17:15:08

Zardoz2293, I apologize for the lack of information I gave! This is a new feature added in Actual Window Manager / Actual Multiple Monitors 8.2 beta 1 version. Check out the details.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 07/23/2014 17:22:47

Hi,

I'm confused and I really don't understand what the following means:

Changes made in the Default Window Settings now are propagated automatically to all existing specific window settings (provided that the old value was the same in both Default and particular specific settings).

Specifically this part:

(provided that the old value was the same in both Default and particular specific settings)

Does this mean the check box in the Tree View for Default Settings is now irrelevant?

Sorry, it's early morning.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/23/2014 18:50:30

Hi, Zardoz!

This means that if you, for example, have "Move to monitor title button" enabled in certain Specific Settings rule AND in Default Settings as well, the change you make to this option in Default Settings will apply to that Specific Settings rule too. But if you have this option disabled in certain Specific rule and enabled in Default rule, the change you make to this option in Default Settings will not apply to that particular Specific Settings rule.

In other words, if you have a matching value both in Specific Settings rule and in Default Settings, your changes to this value in Default Settings will apply to both Default and that particular Specific Settings rule.

So, when you are about to adjust a certain option/parameter in Default Settings, you have to keep in mind that it will affect all the Specific Settings, which have the same value of this parameter or option.

I apologize if I still haven't made it clear. Let me know if I should speak with more clarity.

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register