New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Feedback on compact mode , Using AWM 8.2 beta 2 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 13590

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 06/04/2014 16:38:40

I have been using Compact Mode for a few weeks and have some feedback:

1. It would be nice (if possible) to exclude specific title buttons fr om compact mode, i.e. that they are always shown even when Compact Mode is switched on. The reason is that there are usually one or two buttons that I use all the time (f.i. Move to Monitor). It would be nice if that/those button(s) are always readily clickable, without first having to click the expand button. Very often there still is enough space to display one or two buttons without overlapping the window title or, in other cases, I am not bothered at all if such an important title button is displayed on top of the window title.

2. It would be nice to have the expanded title buttons collapse automatically when I click one of the title buttons, so that I do not have to collapse it by clicking elsewhere or second click the expand button. Maybe this option could be activated by the user, so that it is still possible to have the current behaviour.

3. How is determined whether or not compact mode is automatically activated? Is it that the title buttons go beyond the window's size? I think it should be less than that, because I have already had a few instances where compact mode was not automatically activated, but the extra title buttons overlapped the window title. It would be a good idea to take the space for the window title into consideration when deciding to automatically activate compact mode or not. Maybe it could be a general setting wh ere I can set the space that should not be used by title buttons. For specific windows I can then deviate from that setting by permanently activating or deactivating compact mode in the specific settings, like it is implemented in beta 2.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 06/04/2014 19:19:45

Thank you for your feedback and your feature requests, Pim!

We will consider implementing the following features:
  • to individually exclude buttons from Compact mode;
  • to collapse expanded title buttons automatically after being clicked;
  • to take the space for the window title into consideration when deciding to automatically activate compact mode or not (currently it is determined according to the overall width of the title buttons group and the width of the whole window).

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 08/18/2014 19:11:33

Hi Alexander,

A belated thank you for your reply. And, as I have done this in the past for every new Actual Tools employee on the forum: Welcome! (Better late than never (I mean my welcome, not the fact that you are participating on the forum  :D  )).

Best regards.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/18/2014 20:01:56

Thanks, Pim! =]

support@actualtools.com

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/21/2014 17:36:42

Hi Alexander,

I have an additional request. It would be nice to be able to specify per setting (default and specific window settings) whether or not the compact mode ends automatically or not. I find that sometimes I use quite a few AWM tile buttons in a short time span and then it would be nice to be able to define that the title buttons only collapse if I click the Compact Mode button, so that I do not have to click the Compact Mode button every time or temporarily change the window settings. I do not know whether this is technically feasible, but I would appreciate it.

Best regards.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/22/2014 15:04:16

Dear Pim,

thank you for your request!

Am I correct in understanding that this is related to the feature
to collapse expanded title buttons automatically after being clicked,
that you previously requested and you mean that you would like to have an option to enable or disable that feature for each window rule (Default Settings or each Specific Settings rule)?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/26/2014 17:07:03

Hi Alexander,

Am I correct in understanding that this is related to the feature "to collapse expanded title buttons automatically after being clicked," that you previously requested and you mean that you would like to have an option to enable or disable that feature for each window rule (Default Settings or each Specific Settings rule)?
No, this is a different request. The quoted request is that the expanded title buttons automatically collapse when I click one of the title buttons, instead of clicking somewhere else or on the Compact Mode button. The new request is that the title buttons can be switched on only manually, i.e. that they stay open until I click the Compact Mode button again. In my case this would f.i. be handy in WordPerfect, where I have switched compact mode on because the tile buttons tend to overlap the document name if it is a long path. However, sometimes I have to perform several actions and then it is more efficient to keep the title buttons expanded until I am ready. Also, some document and path names are short and I am not bothered by the expanded title buttons and then I prefer to keep them open.

I hope this clarification helps.

Best regards.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/29/2014 14:52:33

I think it did. Thank you, Pim.

We will consider adding an option to keep Compact view Title Buttons expanded until the Expand/Collapse button is clicked.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 06/02/2015 17:14:30

Hi Pim,

Please could you re-consider the necessity of your request after we have implemented the automatic gradual Compact View in the latest version 8.4?

Thanks.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 06/12/2015 14:50:42

Hi Alex,

I will have to investigate the workings of automatic gradual compact view a bit more, before I can answer your question. I have not really taken the time yet to look into this, as I am currently migrating from Vista to Windows 7 and that takes up a lot of my time.

I just quickly (only a few minutes) looked how automatic gradual compact view works and did notice a few oddities. I will look into that a bit more before I can (also) give you feedback on this new function. For now, can you tell me how the automatic gradual compact view checks whether there is enough room for title buttons? During my short review I noticed that when restoring a maximized Firefox window to its regular size (1350 x 567 this time), the automatic gradual compact view hid all extra title buttons, even though there was plenty of room to display them (I have made a lot of changes to FF's appearance, a.o. with the extension Classic Theme Restorer, which might be the reason). In other windows (e.g. OneNote 2007, Excel 2007) this did not happen. I would like to know how this function is supposed to work, so I can check whether it always does work like it is supposed to. And then I can reassess my original request like you asked.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register