Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Several applications crash , Using AWM 7.3 beta 2 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 11097

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/16/2012 14:03:28

I am using AWM 7.3 beta 2 on Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Ever since updating I encounter the following issues:

1. If I want to print from within any program and want to change the Preferences of the printer before printing, right after clicking Preferences the window fades and I get the message "[Program name] has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." After this message, usually Windows Error Reporting is started. It happens with every program, but only for some printers, not all of my installed printers (I have many printers installed).

Programs crash when during the print dialog the Preferences for one of the following printers are selected:
a. HP LaserJet 3200
b. HP LaserJet P1006
c. Samsung CLP-610

Programs do not crash when during the print dialog the Preferences for one of the following printers are selected:
d. Image printer for (Nuance) PaperPort
e. Brother MFC-J6910DW
f. Brother PC-FAX (fax printer to be used with Brother MFC-J6910DW)
g. Brother PT-2730
h. Brother QL-720NW
i. Fax (included with Windows)
j. HP DeskJet 1220C
k. HP OfficeJet G55
l. Microsoft XPS Document Writer
m. PDFill PDF&Image Writer (software PDF printer)
n. PrimoPDF
o. Snagit 11
p. Windows Journal notes

At first it does seem that this issue is related to the printers, but I do not think so, as the exact same crashes also happen with other actions:

B. When checking the properties of a dial-up connection via Network and Sharing Center > Manage network connections and then right-clicking a dial-up connection > properties, the same happens. In this case I get the message that Windows Explorer has crashed.

C. If I want to configure a printer port via Print Management > Print Servers > [local computer name] > Ports and the right click a Port Name and sel ect Configure Port and after that OK or Cancel, then I get the attached error message. After clicking OK in that error message I get "Microsoft Management Console has stopped working". This issue only happens with network printers that use a TCP/IP port (TCPMON.DLL).

D. Both WordPerfect X4 and X6 crash right after clicking the print button. In this case it is not relevant which printer I have selected, it happens with any of the printers.

I have made a couple of exclusions to temporarily work around some of these issue. After posting this message I will forward my settings via e-mail, so you can look at my exclusions. What I noticed is that in all of these exclusions the windows class is #32770. It is also strange that the exclusion I made for WordPerfect does not work anymore when I also sel ect the Windows caption as a selection criterion, even though the actual window caption is the same as what I entered in the exclusion and even when I have selected "substring match". One of the drawbacks of defining the WordPerfect exclusion this way (without Window caption as a selection criterion) is that Save as dialog windows are now also shown without AWM buttons (including Favorite & recent folders).

In every of the above cases the problem does not happen if the default settings in AWM are switched off. Eliminating all settings in the default settings, but not switching them off does not prevent the crashes fr om happening. Also, none of these problems existed in any of the older AWM versions up to and including 7.3 beta 1.

I hope from this information you are able to find and solve the issue. IMO it seems to be related with class #32770 standard Windows windows. Let me know if you need any more information.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/20/2012 01:07:55

Hello Pim.

You're right - this problem is related with the class #32770 and it has been fixed, you will be able to see it in the next version.

What version of WordPerfect have you noticed the problem with?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/20/2012 12:40:42

Hello Bogdan,

Thank you, I am looking forward to the fix. With WordPerfect it happens with both version X4 and X6 (which is the current edition).

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/21/2012 00:46:14

Pim, i see what you mean. In this case caption of the print window is being changed right after opening of window, and WordPerfect crashes before AWM can check the right window caption and exclude the window. So, for now you have to wait until the next version will be released.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/25/2012 10:13:31

Hello Bogdan,

All these issues appear to be fixed in AWM 7.3 final.

Best regards.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 11/27/2012 09:54:28

Whatever was changed for this window class has now broken my Cisco IM client in 7.3 final.

Windows Class=#32770
Program=CUPCK9.EXE
Location=C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Unified Personal Communicator

I captured this info in order to force the window to size and monitor.  The initial window has NO window caption, so in order to get the window to size properly at start I have to size based on program and window class alone.  The problem is that there is a Log in Splash Screen that gets put to that size since it's included.  Whatever changed, when that splash screen shows it crashes the program.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/27/2012 21:27:45

Hello Chris.

Do you mean you didn't have this problem with AMM 7.2 and AMM 7.3 betas using the same specific settings for the Cisco client window?

Best regards.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 11/28/2012 08:43:03

Correct.  This is only an issue since 7.3 final.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/30/2012 00:51:15

Hello Chris.

The problem has been confirmed.

We'll try to fix it.

For now you can use the "Compatibility mode" for the "Block premature appearance of window"  option (Startup tab) or disable this option.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register