Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] Problem with Restrict Placement » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 11102

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/01/2006 11:31:43

I've been experimenting with restricting the placement of a window and it seems temperamental at least... I've been using the calculator and notepad as test apps - both behave badly in some way...

First off, just restricting bottom right to 0,0 pixels causes both apps, when launched, to vanish from the screen (sometimes they are just visible at the top of the screen). I have a 2-monitor setup and each has a different resolution, so I'm guessing that could be part of the problem. But they are launching on the frist monitor which also has the highest resolution...

Setting the bottom right restriction to 0%,0% of current monitor works OK with both apps, but if you roll up the calculator, it won't unroll again, even if it's well within the first monitor. Notepad seems to cope with this OK. Turning off placement restriction allows the calculator to roll up/down quite happily...

Cheers,

Dave.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/03/2006 20:45:00

David, thanks for the feedback. Please specify did you experiment with Calculator and Notepad within their corresponding specific rules or within the All Windows rule? I've just checked this issue on my machine (though it has the single monitor) and found nothing wrong at all. Soon we'll try to check it with the multi-monitor PC.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/08/2006 08:33:10

I was doing this with specific window rules against those applications. For info, my monitors are arranged with primary on the left, secondary on the right, and the primary is 1600x1200 and the secondary is 1280x1024. So the desktop is an odd shape, and I'm afraid I don't know enough about how XP manages this internally.

If you want me to do any more specific tests here, just let me know.

Cheers,

David.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/09/2006 00:42:05

David, thanks for the feedback. I have succeeded to reproduce this bugs on my multi-monitor PC so they will be fixed as soon as possible in the upcoming version of Actual Tools.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/11/2006 04:30:51

Well, after all the "restrict placement" bug has been found and fixed. It appeared only for the right/bottom restrictions and only when the "pixels" measure units were used for these restrictions.

As for the "Calculator rollup" bug, it has no relation to the "Restrict placement" feature and it even can be called a "feature", not bug. The Calculator window is supposed to have the same size all the time so it behaves incorrectly when our program modifies its size after rollup. To avoid this "feature", don't rollup the Calculator window at all or don't try to move it when it's rolled up.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/18/2006 07:29:41

Well, I've just installed the full version 4.3, and I'd have to agree the at the restrict placement bug seems to have gone. But so has the problem with the calculator! It now happily rolls up and down without problem.

So, by restricting its placement to the bottom right of monitor 1 (either by % or by pixels), I can click a titlebutton to roll it up and then drag it down to the bottom of the screen. A click on unroll, and a quick reposition and it almost snaps back to where it should be, so I've nearly got my 'rolldown' feature that I'm after :)

The 2 things I'd need to complete this workaround (which might actually be more difficult than implementing the feature properly!) would be to restrict placement based on the size of the current window (which could be useful in its own right actually), and to reapply restriction rules when other factors change the size of the window (e.g. roll/unroll).

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/20/2006 10:09:22

David, please explain in details your last suggestions. What did you mean saying "to restrict placement based on the size" and "to re-apply restriction rules when other factors change the size"?

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 09/18/2007 04:33:49

Wow - must have missed this question - sorry Alexey!

To explain my thoughts...

1. Restrict window based on size. Currently, the restrict placement values are absolute values from the respective edges of the screen. But to get something like the 'roll-down' feature I was after, I would want to restrict the top of the window to something like 'screen height minus window height' - so that when I roll-up the window, its restriction area changes to account for the fact that the window is now much 'shorter' than it was.

2. Even if this could be done, the restriction on placement would need to be 'reapplied' when the window was rolled up, and its 'top' restriction changed.

Hope that helps - maybe if there's a proper 'roll-down' in the pipeline, it might be easier than what I'm suggesting!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register