New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM Configuration Window size is not correctly restored » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 16018

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/12/2012 14:41:31

If I right click the taskbar (I have only tested it with the Windows taskbar on one monitor systems) and then select "Cascade" with at least one other window open and after that
(1) maximise
(2) close
(3) open the configuration module, the window should be restored to the last size, i.e. maximised. It is however opened to the size the window had right after cascading. If I do the same with other windows (e.g. Firefox) they are always opened to their previous size, i.e. maximised.

It can be solved by deleting UIPreferences.ini. Of course this only works until you cascade the windows again. The issue seems to be similar (but not identical) to this one.

I have seen this issue using AWM 7.1 beta 1 on Vista Ultimate 32-bit and using AWM 7.0 on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/12/2012 22:15:45

Hello Pim.

The problem has been confirmed.

We'll try to fix it.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/16/2012 01:17:31

Hello Bogdan,

Thank you for your reply. The problem that I described above seems more serious than I originally thought. Even if I do not use cascade does it now occur. I even turned off AWM, then deleted UIPreferences.ini and then restarted AWM. The configuration module opens in 1024 x 768 on my first monitor. My first monitor is however 1280 x 768. My second monitor is 1024 x 768. If I then maximise, close and open the configuration module, it is again opened in 1024 x 768, but, and this may be important, I see a restore button and not a maximise button, even though the window is not maximised. It may be that AWM mixes up the size of my first and second monitor and therefore opens with the wrong size.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/16/2012 02:39:54

Thank you for new info about this problem, we'll consider it.

Did you try to change your second monitor resolution? How does AWM opens then? Does it always keep it's resolution same as second monitor's?

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/18/2012 09:54:30

Hello Bogdan,

I just tried what happens when I change the resolution of my second monitor to 800 x 600 but then AWM still opens in 1024 x 768 as I described above. The resolution of the 2nd monitor therefore does not seem to influence the wrong window size.

I have done some more testing. If I do the same steps of maximise, close and open on my second monitor the exact issue occurs on my 2nd monitor, however this time with a resolution of 819 x 768.

What may be noteworthy is that if I exit and then restart AWM it always starts as a normal window  . The size it has at that moment is the size that the window is always restored to when following the three steps of maximise, close and open (1024 x 768 on monitor 1 and 819 x 768 on monitor 2).

However, and this is probably important, because I wanted to report the English terminology back to you I switched the user interface from Dutch to English. After I did that the issue completely disappeared and I could not reproduce it anymore! What I have noticed in the past and until now have not made a big deal about, is that if I change the user interface language, the configuration window always resizes and sometimes also jumps to another monitor. Something must have gone wrong there I think, that caused my problem. I think if you are able to solve the change in window size/position when changing languages, you will also have solved this issue.

I also noticed that the issue in the first post (after cascading) is now gone too. But because you were able to reproduce it, it must be more than just a coincidental setting on my computers. Testing this situation on my desktop with AWM 7.0 arrived at the same conclusion: the problems disappear after changing the user interface language. Moreover, I do not even have to confirm that change by clicking Apply or OK, just selecting a different language in the pull down menu already solves the issues!

I hope this helps. if you need anymore information please let me know.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/19/2012 02:08:49

Hello Bogdan,

I have an experience to add. After "solving" the issue yesterday as described in my previous post I was not able to reproduce it. However, this morning when I had to switch fr om Dutch to English it was back. I was able to solve it by going back to Dutch. Switching to English again however did not trigger the issue anymore. It definitely seems to be related to switching the user interface language, but apparently it does not always happen.

Please note that yesterday switching from Dutch to English solved the problem, wh ereas today that same action caused the problem! It thus does not seem to be tied to a specific language.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/20/2012 04:23:06

Hello Pim.

What do you mean saying "AWM always starts as a normal window"? Did you defined the special setting for AWM?

The issue has been confirmed, but in some different way. Configuration window just opens to the size it had before maximizing.

Definitely, there is a relation between this issue and switching the user interface. We'll investigate it.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/20/2012 13:23:52

Hello Bogdan,

What do you mean saying "AWM always starts as a normal window"? Did you defined the special setting for AWM?
I mean it does not open maximised, but in a normal window state. I do not have a specific setting for the configuration module. And with always I mean always right after having exited and restarted AWM again. Not always as in always after reopening. I hope that clarifies what I meant.

I have more info. Today the issue came back without having done anything in AWM since I changed the user interface to English yesterday as I described above, and after which AWM worked correctly. I cannot tell you what triggered it. Today, going to Dutch solved the problem (and after going back to English it still worked well). This time therefore, I am certain that changing languages was not the reason why the issue came back.

The issue has been confirmed, but in some different way. Configuration window just opens to the size it had before maximizing.
This is what I have noticed too. But why do you say "in some different way"? I think you described the issue correctly. The big question is what causes it and why sometimes the issue shows up and other times not (although sometimes only for a day).

Good luck with investigating it. If there is any information I can provide let me know.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/22/2012 07:36:29

One addition: I just tested whether a simple reboot of the computer causes the problem to return, but that is not the case. The problem came back today after having solved it temporarily as described in my previous post. I changed a specific setting this morning and I cannot remember if I did anything else (probably not). Again, the solution (for as long as it will last) was to change the user interface language.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/22/2012 12:24:58

And now without having rebooted but after stand-by, the issues is back again. Earlier I also tried going to stand-by and waking up from stand-by, but that did not reproduce the problem. I honestly have no clue why it came back now or this morning. I hope you can find the problem, because it is getting kind of annoying  :evil: , because I use relatively small monitors (1280 x 768 and 1024 x 768), so I always want to have AWM maximised.

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register