Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «My beta 4.2 2 test results , short summary of experiences » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 10880

Tobiel Sayre

home user/amateur skinner

Posted: 09/27/2006 12:45:18

:) Wow - great a separate section permanently for the testing. And more developments than expected considering 4.0 final/public was already so strong and simplified (thought you guys would go on a 6 month vacation like you deserved but NO, au contraire). Hats off!

Following great tip of user choguy7 or whats his name plus your general recommendation I left 4.1 installed but added beta 2 2 in a separate folder, then copied 3 inis with rules over corresponding ones in new folder because im-export is only for COMPLETELY different builds starting with different generation numbers.

So WOW all rules were there, registration, fine.

Discovered nice new button for deactivated other buttons. Correctly showed my disabled button change program priority which I occasionally test for special purposes but then remove.

It did NOT display my also never used (I think) button for move to monitor number... Might be for 3 reasons - a bug which I doubt - or system detects I currently dont use multimonitor (testing was on stationary tower this time, dont use laptop with external display either right now) - or if I never deactivated button because I never used it before its not deactivated - or 4th reason some mistake of mine but its fine this way - just reporting what I see.

This next point belongs under future suggestions but on the other hand this is a separate beta area and I have to keep this to 1 concise summary for time reasons: I would like to be able to disactivate the new button for inactive buttons itself in some rules which I didnt manage but might be my end.

Noticed restore ghost hotkey feature in general section but I dont ghost much right now and didnt test that. As a heavy user of hotkey triggered macros in my programmable keyboard and programmable mouse plus the fact that millions of advanced hotkeyed apps of mine cant even deactivate all hotkeys I try to avoid hotkeys in general. Good to have the options though, keep up!

Stretching from borders with right click works in several builds but I use all kinds of skins some of which dont have wide vertical borders at all, much, for example unless I deactivate windowblinds.

English Help text was UPTODATE FOR BETA BUILD; WOW!
Currently not testing other languages.

What I am still hoping for:

- button to reapply window rule, especially for windows that normally refuse to behave normal because of their own wickedness

- feature for dragging window from any point, not just title bar by pressing BOTH mouse buttons while dragging from any point of the window

- print or html export with screenshots or manual printed rundown of all settings of general rule, exclusions, and individual rules including version number, maybe skin etc. especially showing the target window settings with crazy class names etc and maybe even applied button skins, also general program settings. However, must admit there are already 3 inis to check out for that but my feature could be more demonstrative for web export and testers who need whole different rulesets for each wb skin with different resolutions on each pc.

Currently some highly advanced macro tools are also just going final, example if a program has no command line options you need automated mousing and then different skins misset by undifferentiated rules mess up the whole macro. I am sure to be a minority on this issue (NOW). In future even pdf-export comes to mind. But when I have time I might help myself a bit, the sky is the limit.

- Sadly, I decided to go back to version 4.1 though, still working great because of 1 or 2 minor things that have already been partially mentioned and will undergo changes soon:

In my case (might be my setting but I changed rule order and tinkered with class, substring or not etc) in opposite to firefox with its own similar rule, in this build my IE explorer 6 suddenly didnt start up in right size and position, even with several restarts, refixing gunsights and killing normal explorer which sometimes helped. In 4.1 this is different.

The new guarding options look interesting - never close, confirm replaces close on right click/confirm which sounds good and works excepting in a crazy rule of mine no one should make but works in 4.1:

Guarding ACTWINMAN config window ITSELF against accidental closing. Here, in both builds by the way, even that works, I use confirm close and when ticking X for close in upper right corner (mostly of a windowblinds skin) I get dialogue, but I have programmed my logitech mouse with a key for closing windows that support that meaning most windows and it closes the guarded window, AWM itself WITHOUT warning dialogue using the mouse button. But all my other windows give correct warnings if guarded even from the MOUSE button closing in 4.1 and 4.2

Really impressed with the multimonitor support idea in general, maybe my config will change later, I used to have that situation, then I will test that too.

THANKS A LOT AND MORE POWER TO ALL OF YOU :!:

SATYROBE/TAXIFUNK/Tobiel Sayre registered user; non-staff

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/04/2006 10:08:30

Toby, you're unbelievable! :) Many thanks for such a detailed report! I'll try to comment your results but don't blame me if my text isn't so long and detailed as yours. ;)

It did NOT display my also never used (I think) button for move to monitor number... Might be for 3 reasons - a bug which I doubt - or system detects I currently dont use multimonitor (testing was on stationary tower this time, dont use laptop with external display either right now) - or if I never deactivated button because I never used it before its not deactivated - or 4th reason some mistake of mine but its fine this way - just reporting what I see.

The correct reason is 2nd. AWM automatically removes the redundant "Move-to-Monitor" button in a single-monitor configuration.

I would like to be able to disactivate the new button for inactive buttons itself in some rules which I didnt manage but might be my end.

This feature is already present: you should simply uncheck the "Show grouping button" checkbox at the top of Title Buttons property sheet.

English Help text was UPTODATE FOR BETA BUILD; WOW!

It's much easier to keep it up-to-date than to write it from scratch. ;)

Currently not testing other languages.

Please test the German translation for errors/typos when you'll be able to, and report me via e-mail if you find something wrong.

- button to reapply window rule, especially for windows that normally refuse to behave normal because of their own wickedness

We are thinking about it but haven't come to the final decision yet.

feature for dragging window from any point, not just title bar by pressing BOTH mouse buttons while dragging from any point of the window

It's included into our "wishlist for new versions" too but the exact deadline for its implementation isn't defined.

print or html export with screenshots or manual printed rundown of all settings of general rule, exclusions, and individual rules including version number, maybe skin etc. especially showing the target window settings with crazy class names etc and maybe even applied button skins, also general program settings.

Wow, interesting suggestion! We'll certainly consider it. For now, simply try to copy/rename "WindowRules.ini" to "WindowRules.xml" and open it with Internet Explorer. ;)

Tobiel Sayre

home user/amateur skinner

Posted: 10/16/2006 18:50:03

:)  :)  :) WOW Thanks AND THE NEW FINAL 4.2 build, meanwhile for ALL - OUTSIDE THE BETA, just found it reading in versiontracker newsletter, checked RSS + here.

NOW whos unbelievable? Just my headlines for today: EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT, also IE6, and tx f. tip with xml, that helped, looks even more interesting in MS frontpage.

The german new additional ideas - good to know if it helps - I will mail for the new version now BUT ITS SO GREAT. And I not only overlooked the grouping button but also learned another GOOD thing - of course, if you later change GENERAL rule, just manually correct also all OLD SEPARATE rules hehe. But otherwise it would overrule those which I wouldnt want, so this is great.

And the buttons are so intelligent (unlike me today).  :oops: I wondered why from custom button it didnt accept default. Its not necessary, that is a separate setting and it knows that. Obviously I need vacation, not you.

Sensational new features, and it took all my old rules fine. Cya later, thanks

SATYROBE/TAXIFUNK/Tobiel Sayre registered user; non-staff

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register