Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «VBA-Editor crashes Office Applications , Bug in AWM 7.0 beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 11584

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 01/18/2012 16:53:10

This problem occurs in Office 2003, but may be also a problem in 2007/2010 (unfortunately i cannot test this). It happens in all office applications, that have an VBA-Editor-Window (Microsoft Visual Basic), but i will only describe it for Microsoft Excel.

Steps to reproduce the Problem:
1. Open Excel 2003 (or any Office Application as described above)
2. Open the VBA-Editor (Shortcut ALT+F11 by default)
3. Close the VBA-Editor (this Step is optional)
4. Close Excel
--> Excel crashes: "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Steps 2 is necessary! If i don't open the VBA-Editor, there is no crash when i close Excel.

The Problem does only occur, when AWM is running.

Also i can fix the problem if i set an Exclusion to the Excel-VBA-Editor-Window (but this should be only a temporary workaround, i wan't to use the extra Title-Buttons etc. in the VBA-Editor-Window):
Window Class: wndclass_desked_gsk
Program: C:\.. .\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE

This is already a Problem in AMM 3.4.2. , so it seems it has nothing to do with the latest Excel fixes (Switching Excel-Worksheets by using the taskbar buttons, Minimizing Excel).

I'm using AWM 7.0 beta 1, Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit and Microsoft Office Excel 2003 SP3.

I have already sent you my configuration files because of this thread: http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=12&TID=1891
The configuration has the VBA-Editor-Window-Exclusion activated!

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/18/2012 23:11:44

Hello Bertram,

Thanks for the post.

I can't reproduce this problem.

Are you able to reproduce the problem with a new Excel file following your steps?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 01/19/2012 01:26:19

On my system with Excel 2007 and AWM 7.0 beta 1 this error does not occur. Probably not very helpful, but maybe it is good to know.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 01/19/2012 09:20:26

Are you able to reproduce the problem with a new Excel file following your steps?

Yes I am, but I could luckily track down the problem.

The problem only occurs, if you have installed and loaded a specific AddIn for the VBA-Editor: "MZ-Tools 3.0 for VBA" (http://www.mztools.com/v3/download.aspx). This is a incredible useful tool for every serious VBA-Developer.

In the FAQ section of MZ-Tools there is an article describing AND solving the problem:

I get a crash unloading MZ-Tools or the Visual Basic / VBA IDEs

A crash can occur if it is loaded another add-in that also does window subclassing with the main window of the VB IDE (just as MZ-Tools does). In this case, add-ins should be unloaded in reverse order to properly restore the subclassed window procedures. Unfortunately, VB unloads add-ins in the same order that they were loaded, not in reverse order. So, if you have two add-ins that are loaded on startup and both do subclassing, you will get a crash when unloading VB. To solve this issue, you can use any of these ways:

* Load and unload one of them manually in the proper order.
* If you are using version 3.00.1006 or higher, you can add by hand the following line to the .ini file in the OPTIONS section:

[OPTIONS]
SubclassIDE=0

That line causes MZ-Tools not subclassing the VB IDE. The side effect is that MZ-Tools shortcuts will not work, but you can use MZ-Tools through menus or buttons.

* Stop using both add-ins at the same time.

So the problem seems to be that MZ-Tools subclasses the main window of the VB IDE and AWM also does this (i suppose?).
The second option described above (editing the .ini-file of MZ-Tools) works fine and I don't have to set an Exclusion for the VBA-Editor in AWM any longer.

As described above as a sideeffect of this solution the shortcuts of MZ-Tools don't work any more, but I don't use them that often so this is ok for me.

But maybe you could still fix this (if even possible) or support some information about it, because any user of Excel, who uses MZ-Tools and AWM will wonder why his Excel crashes on closing.

Best Regards

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/19/2012 22:52:30

Hello Bertram,

Thanks for the response.

But maybe you could still fix this (if even possible) or support some information about it, because any user of Excel, who uses MZ-Tools and AWM will wonder why his Excel crashes on closing.
- We'll investigate this.

Best regards.

Mike M

Posted: 04/18/2013 15:58:27

This is also happening on the latest version of AMM (5.1.1).  Any Office 2010 window will error on closing, whether I open the VBA window or not, if I have MZ-Tools installed.

Has there been any progress made on this?  MZ-Tools is too useful to let go of!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/19/2013 02:10:42

Hello Mike

Unfortunately, there is no progress in fixing this issue from our side.

But there is the workaround for this problem in the last Bertam's post.

Best regards.

Mike M

Posted: 04/26/2013 16:53:28

As it turns out, MZ-Tools fixed this in version 3.00.1207 released April 1, 2013.  So.....nevermind!

Emmanuel Millan

Posted: 03/12/2014 23:13:58

Hi to all!

I've been using Actual Windows Manager and MZ-Tools since 2009 and I always get the Excel Crashes described by Bertram Vogel.

This error has been happening on my work's and home's PCs with AWM versions from 5.0 to the latest, Excel(2003, 2007 and 2010) and using Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7.

Fortunately this issue was fixed on recent versions of MZ-Tools like Mike M said.

Thank you for you posts! I forget to update MZ-Tools last year and I was looking for an answer until today.

Best Regards!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register