New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 51 - 60 of 69
First | Prev. | 3 4 5 6 7 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Desktop divider questions , Using AWM 7.0 beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 86295

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/22/2012 14:08:57

Hello Vasiliy,

I am currently not using the desktop divider very actively. The main reason is that my monitors are relatively small (1280 x 768 and 1024 x 768) and if you divide them in 4 tiles, you have already reached a limit I think. If I had bigger monitors (which may happen in the future) I would of course be able to organize my desktop better. I could then have my accounting program open on one monitor, my tax return software in another desktop tile, and Excel in yet another desktop tile. A nice feature would be (and I have already made that suggestion) to be able to make a specific setting that automatically moves a window to a particular desktop tile.

What I may be going to use the desktop tiles for is for being able to quickly move a small window to a predefined area of my monitor. Due to the small size of my monitors, I can only do that for small windows. On my desktop system I have only one monitor of 1680 x 1050 (20") but still desktop tiles are only useful for small windows.

However, I will experiment with the tiles over time and give you feedback as it arises.

I hope this was helpful.

Best regards.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 05/05/2012 11:51:44

Hello,

first of all: i'm really happy to see so many of my ideas being implemented :)
Your software is really powerful and has so many cool features, but i think the best about your company is the support: you actually hear what the users say and i really appreciate this.
[*] Desktop Divider: The ability is added to auto-generate the grid division of
   defined dimensions.

[+] The ability to copy the Desktop Divider layout is added.

[+] The ability is added to copy the layout from one monitor to another in the
   Tiles Editor.

[*] The Tiles Editor better displays the hierarchy of panels forming the layout:
   the deeper the panel is - the lighter its splitter looks.

[*] Now it's possible to disable the classic snapping of windows to Desktop
   Divider tiles (see the "To Desktop Divider tiles" option in the "Options -
   Window Snapping" panel).
I tested these features and they work fine :)

This problem with the included taskbar-area described in my first post on January 25 still exists and it is now much easier to reproduce it!
1. Just make sure you have at least two different tile-layouts in the desktop divider pane and DD is set to be active "always".
2. Activate the first layout.
3. Open a new window (no mather what)
4. Activate the second layout.
-> The taskbar-area is included! (also see the attached screenshot)
The problem does not occur if you change the layout via the desktop right-click menu.
This problem is fixed in AWM 7.1 Beta 2.

Could you answer these questions:
1. What purposes are you using the Desktop Divider feature?
2. What use cases of the Desktop Divider could use suggest?
I'm a bit late, but i hope this still helps.
1. I have 2 monitors and i program a lot. Most of the time i have an IDE maximized on my primary monitor and use my second monitor to display folders, firefox, auxiliary tools etc. I use the Destop Divider to divide my second monitor into 16 (4x4) tiles and use these tiles to quickly arrange the windows. I use 16 tiles so i have a lot of control about how much space i want to give to a certain window   .
2. In my opinion the typical use case for the Destkop Divider is a big monitor with a high-resolution (which is more and more common). On such a monitor it is a waste to maximize a window to the whole monitor. So the user begins to resize and align windows manually which is a lot of fiddling and the result will propably not look very nice. With the Desktop Divider you can divide this big monitor in smaller tiles and so have something like 4 screen areas instead of one.
One feature which is essential for this kind of usage is the possibility to maximize a window to the tile it is currently in. This can be achieved by two ways:
a) provide a "Maximize to current Tile"-Button.
b) override the functionality of the normal windows maximize button. This behaviour should definitly be an option, so if users are confused by the changed functionality of the normal maximize button, there has to be a way to revert it to behave normal! Also if the normal window maximize button maximizes a window to the current tile and no longer to the current monitor, an additional Title-Button is needed to maximize a window to the current monitor.
Actually i think option b) is the better one, because it is somehow more intuitive if the User uses the desktop divider to "emulate" 4 independent desktop areas. I know i said at the beginning of this thread, that the funcionality of the standard windows maximize button should not be changed, but i changed my mind ;) (at least if there is an option provided to deactivate this behaviour).
And of course the "superbest" solution would be to implement both a) and b).

Best Regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/08/2012 07:06:08

Hello Bertram,

override the functionality of the normal windows maximize button
This option is already there (and optional!) via Mouse > Actions> "Maximize to Desktop Divider's tile".

Best regards.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 05/12/2012 07:38:19

Hello Pim,

thanks! I didn't know that. Works fine!

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/19/2012 12:44:55

Hello Vasiliy,

From your post dated April 8:
The desktop divider buttons are a little bit different from what you wrote it would be. It seems like an omission in the latest beta. In the attached picture at the end of this post the left picture is what you proposed and the right picture is what it currently is in beta 2. Especially the I in the horizontal bar bugs me a bit, as the info is not consistent: a horizontal bar with a vertical line. Your original suggestion was better!

- The problem has been fixed. The fix will be available in the next update.

I do not mean to be nitpicking, but I think the horizontal line in the horizontal divider button as it was originally published (see my post from April 6) is bigger and therefore better than the small dash in 7.1 beta 2. From a distance it looks like a dot and not a dash I just noticed (especially on smaller monitors). I really had to look what was inside the button whether I was seeing it wrong. I think it would be better to have horizontal line that has the same length (or close to the same length) as the vertical line in the vertical button. Again, I do not want to be nitpicking, but if it is longer it is just clearer. And for you it is probably just replacing one typographical symbol by another  ;)

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/19/2012 13:01:15

Fr om the release notes of AWM 7.1 beta 2:

Desktop Divider: The ability is added to auto-generate the grid division of defined dimensions.
I am probably overlooking something, but I cannot find this option. Can anybody tell me wh ere to find it?

Thanks!
Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/19/2012 13:21:14

Please ignore my previous 2 posts. I had put back an image of my computer and had not realized that because of that I had also reverted back to AWM 7.1 beta 1 instead of beta 2  :|   It is however a nice albeit time consuming way to increase my total message score  :)

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/19/2012 13:33:06

If in AWM 7.1 beta 2 I use grid division to divide my desktop tiles, I notice that the tiles are always somewhat off. A 2 x 2 division for example results in 4 tiles: (1) 50,3% x 50,5%, (2) 49,7% x 50,5%, (3) 50,3% x 49,5%, (4) 49,7% x 49,5%. Should it not always be 50%? Something similar happens when using 3 x 3, 2 x 3 etc. I realize it is only a small amount off, but with a computer, should it not be exact? I know people will be surprised by this, just as I am.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/24/2012 01:25:40

Hello Pim.

Such behavior does occur. Most likely associated with the calculation algorithms. We'll improve it :)

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 06/10/2012 10:36:34

Hello Bogdan,

If in AWM 7.1 beta 2 I use grid division to divide my desktop tiles, I notice that the tiles are always somewhat off.
I want to confirm that the issue is fixed in AWM 7.1 beta 3. It "looks" much better now  :)

Best regards.

Messages 51 - 60 of 69
First | Prev. | 3 4 5 6 7 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register