Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «All desktops option with virtual desktops & multi-monitor doesn't work » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 6433

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/25/2011 10:32:35

I am using AWM 6.6 beta 2 on Vista Ultimate 32-bit. When I use multiple monitors together with independent virtual desktops and I click the “Move to virtual desktop” button in the title bar, it also shows the option “All desktops”. If I click that option the window is only shown on all virtual desktops of the monitor I am currently on. It does not show on the other monitor at all. If I use classic virtual desktops instead of independent virtual desktops, the window is shown on all monitors, after clicking that button. This problem thus only exists with independent virtual desktops.

I hope you can fix this. If it is technically impossible to do so, please change the description “All desktops” to something better like “All desktops on current monitor” when independent virtual desktops are active.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/28/2011 10:54:00

Pim,

Thank you for the information. Yes, the way the "All desktops" option works is correct: in Classic mode window appears on all desktops, in Independent mode it appears on current monitor's desktops only. Its naming is simply the same for both cases (probably, you're right - it does not sound clear in latter case).

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/28/2011 11:47:03

Thank you Alex for your reply. I have one more question. Has the limitation that a window can only be shown on all desktops on one monitor instead of all monitors a technical reason or is it made like that by design? The reason for asking is that I encountered a situation where I wanted to have Directory Opus (a file manager) available on all windows. That’s when I found out about the way the “All desktops” button worked and asked my question. In other words: if you could (technically) incorporate the option to show a window on all desktops, it would really be helpful for me.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/29/2011 09:13:56

As far as I know, there are no technical limitations to implement the "All desktops on all monitors" feature. I have added your request to our request tracking database so some day it may become available.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/31/2011 12:51:45

Thanks Alex. I do have an addition to this request. Why not have 2 options for both types of virtual desktops: “All desktops on all monitors” & “All desktops on current monitor”? This will eliminate the difference between classic and independent virtual desktops, which is in my opinion somewhat inconsistent. The first option already exists for classic virtual desktops but not for independent virtual desktops, the second option already exists for independent virtual desktops but not for classic virtual desktops. Implementation will make the user experience more consistent and I can think of situations where “All desktops on current monitor” would be a handy option when using classic virtual desktops.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/15/2011 00:48:20

Hello Pim,

Thanks for the message.

We'll consider this request.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics