New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Problems Using Mouse Soft Lock (Tight Monitor Boundaries) » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 16651

pointyegg

Posted: 06/01/2011 11:37:27

The soft lock option between monitors does not work reliably for me.  Often (even with a very low time value set) I have a lot of trouble getting the mouse from one monitor to the other.  
Would using a pixel distance (like 50 pixels) to make the cursor stick to a monitor be better than using a time period over which the mouse must be dragged?  In this case, the mouse would just have to be dragged that many pixels to switch monitors and before that number is met it would be locked to the side of the last monitor it was on.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/03/2011 00:58:55

Hello Pointyegg,

Thanks for the post.

A problem has been found in this feature.

We'll try to fix it.

Would using a pixel distance (like 50 pixels) to make the cursor stick to a monitor be better than using a time period over which the mouse must be dragged?
Unfortunately, there is no standard way to realize it.

Best regards.

Frieder

Posted: 07/07/2011 13:58:29

This is a very useful feature to be able to "blind"-click the close button or scrollbar on a maximized window when you have a monitor to the right where the mouse pointer would jump to without tight monitor boundaries enabled.
However it neither was working relably for me so I had to turn it off again. Would be great if it could be fixed in some future version. Thanks.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/07/2011 22:11:52

Hello Frieder,

Thanks for the message.

Could you clarify what problems have you noticed using the "Tight monitor boundaries" feature?

Best regards.

pointyegg

Posted: 07/08/2011 08:56:33

This feature still doesn't work well for me.  Even at very low time thresholds I have a lot of trouble getting the mouse to cross monitors.  It even seems to be worse now, although I haven't gone back and forth to compare.
Would it not be possible to threshold velocity (greater than some magnitude) or acceleration (probably just anything non-negative with respect to the sign of velocity) of the mouse?  I also wonder if the signal from the mouse (with which I have very little experience) just needs better smoothing or if it varies with different polling frequencies or other mouse-to-mouse factors (I also use my mouse, a logitech performance mx, on a glass surface, which I'm sure sacrifices some precision).

Frieder

Posted: 07/08/2011 12:48:38

I also had a lot of trouble getting the mouse pointer to the other monitor. After upgrading to 3.3 beta 1 it indeed seems to be worse. I was not able to switch monitors at all. Time was set to 0.3s.
Previously it was a really weird behavior where it seems to depend on which window the cursor was over at the time you want to get it to the other monitor. Sometimes the area over the taskbar at the bottom seems to "let the cursor through" while another maximized window totally blocked it. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with a Razor Naga mouse.
@pointyegg: Velocity/Acceleration thresholds would not work for me, as I like to approach the edges of the screen at high speeds, but then want to keep the mouse cursor on that screen for a split second, to allow "blind clicking" of the close button (screen pixels: x=max, y=0) or scrollbars (screen pixels: x=max).

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/11/2011 00:32:23

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for your messages.

Could you give me some concrete examples of the problem?

What settings of this feature do you have?

Previously it was a really weird behavior where it seems to depend on which window the cursor was over at the time you want to get it to the other monitor.
What windows have you noticed the problem with?

Also, you could send me (support@actualtools.com) video of the problem.

Best regards.

pointyegg

Posted: 07/12/2011 09:57:57

My problem is fairly straight-forward and I haven't noticed it to be window dependent (since it just doesn't work at all).  I cannot move the mouse between monitors at all with this feature on no matter how long I try to drag the mouse (eventually I just run out of space).  The threshold can be set at any value (I tried the default, lowered to 0.01, raised it to 100 in case there was just a mistake with an inverse, etc.) and the cursor will not cross from one monitor to the other.  
When I first reported this issue a couple beta versions ago, I could move the cursor from one monitory (a 30" monitor, on the left, to a 23" monitor, on the right) but going back was very difficult.  Now, after that issue was said to be fixed, I simply can't move from one to the other at all (I've tried starting on both monitors).

Frieder

Posted: 07/12/2011 12:09:40

Yes, that's the same problem that I have. I'm using AMM default settings.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/12/2011 22:35:08

Hello gentlemen,

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem on my computer.

Could you send me (support@actualtools.com) a message with your Actual Tools configuration files (the "%AppData%\Actual Tools" folder), description of your operating system and a video of this problem?

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register