New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «On install, and after first reboot AWM 6.5 B" complained re DLLs » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 31656

mouse

Posted: 04/30/2011 14:24:44

On installation and then attempting to run AWM Beta 2, AWM complained about incompatible DLL libraries.

It told me to reboot, which I did

ON reboot and automatic loading of AWM it complained again. Re-starting AWM yet again resolved the problem.

Just thought it might bbe useful for you to know.

Running XP SP3, with Comodo Internet Security as security software. Further software details on request.

Best wishes

Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/02/2011 23:53:55

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the post.

We'll investigate the problem.

Best regards.

Charles Roaten

Posted: 05/17/2011 13:05:25

mouse wrote:
On installation and then attempting to run AWM Beta 2, AWM complained about incompatible DLL libraries.
It told me to reboot, which I did
ON reboot and automatic loading of AWM it complained again. Re-starting AWM yet again resolved the problem.
Just thought it might be useful for you to know.
Running XP SP3, with Comodo Internet Security as security software. Further software details on request.

Best wishes
Mike

I have also found the same problem with my install of AWM 3 beta.  I have tried re-installing but it did not work.  Going back to beta 2 and everything has and is working with no complaints.  :|

Thanks for any help.
C.Roaten

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/18/2011 00:59:03

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the message.

You should Unload the Control Center of Actual Window Manager and then try to install the new beta.

Please, inform me about your results.

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 05/18/2011 13:12:45

Vasiliy Ivachev wrote:

You should Unload the Control Center of Actual Window Manager and then try to install the new beta.

Best regards.

I have had this happen with every beta build. I found that if you shut down AWM and then delete the copy of aimemb.dll in your temp folder, it resolves the problem without reinstalling. I usually have to use Unlocker to be able to delete the file, but its presence in the temp folder is what's causing the error dialogs. Maybe you should consider building a mechanism into the installer that would deal with this or would force the current version of AWM to close prior to installing the new version.

This might also be happening if you have changed the path to your temp folder. In my case, it's F:\temp.

--
Mike

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/18/2011 21:57:14

Mike,

When you run the installer, at first, it unloads the currently running AWM Center.
In fact, the installer's wizard won't even show until both Center and Config modules are unloaded.

What requires to re-login is aimemb.dll, which frequently hangs in different processes.
We haven't included any kind of unlocker-like functionality into the installer because of two main reasons:

1. If a DLL is forcibly unloaded from a process, this might cause the process to crash. In case of aimemb.dll, there's only a slight chance of such crash, but its probability is non-zero, and we don't want any of our users to lose any important data because of it.

2. We use Inno Setup to make the installers of our products, and we (as well as several other developers) have requested the Inno Setup developer to include the support of the Restart Manager to the installer. The Restart Manager is a subsystem of Vista and Windows 7, that allows to restart any necessary process during the installation, with preserving the process' state.
Despite the fact that the request was made in 2009, and the support is not yet implemented, we are still waiting for it.

We understand that the requirement to re-login is very inconvenient.
Perhaps, it's time to implement the support of Restart Manager on our own. We'll think about adding this to one of the future versions of our products.

Charles Roaten

Posted: 05/20/2011 16:57:28

I have had to move back to beta 2 as beta 3 failed to load after any logoff or reboot.  :evil:

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/23/2011 01:22:19

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the message.

Could you uninstall beta 2, restart your computer and install beta 3?

Please, inform me about your results.

Best regards.

Charles Roaten

Posted: 05/24/2011 14:44:48

I have determined my problem.  I'm using ZoneAlarm as my AntiVirus/Firewall/Program Control.
It was the last of these which was causing the hiccup.
Looking under the Program Controls / Programs section, I found multiple entries for Actual Window Manger, there should only be one (1).

What I did was...  :idea:
  • Make sure that AWM is not running in any way.
  • Open ZoneAlarm to the Program Control/Program page.
  • Delete ALL entries for AWM in ZoneAlarm Program Control
  • Exit (DON'T CLOSE) ZoneAlarm
  • Start AWM as normal
  • ZoneAlarm should now prompt for program settings
  • Place a mark in the check box
  • Click YES
  • That's It!
 8)  :D

mouse

Posted: 05/26/2011 10:05:02

Sorry for silence I've been away.

I understand most of the explanation of this. But what I still don't understand is why AWM complained again about run time library inconsistency *after* the first reboot of the computer after installation of the new version.

I'm not using Zonealarm, I'm using Comodo Internet Security.

Have not tried B3 yet, should I?

Best wishes

Mouse

Messages 1 - 10 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help