Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Managing apps with multiple child windows , Saving window positions on a per application basis » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 5880

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/18/2010 04:59:39

I'm using VUE a lot at the moment, and as a Java app, its behaviour on XP is a little non-standard.

It has a number of child windows (tool palettes, very similar to, e.g., Photoshop), but it doesn't manage them very well, and doesn't save their position when you close the application. So you spend the first few minutes of each use manually repositioning the half dozen windows onto the secondary monitor so you can actually see the main window you're working on.

I wondered if it would be possible to create an option to automatically save the last known position of an apps child windows and restore them when the app is launched again? The problem with the current 'save window position on exit' option is that the rule applies to every palette window (they're all of the same class) and so when opened, they all appear on top of each other. I can't even create a different rule for each palette window, as they have no caption, so there's no way to differentiate them.

Could AWM check to see how many matching windows there are for a rule, and save each ones position independently? Presumably there is some way to work out which is which when they're being redrawn by the app next time round - but class, caption and path is not sufficient in this case... I've attached the window list - the top 4 are the palettes I had open, and the very bottom one is the parent app.

Thanks,

David.

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/22/2010 00:56:32

David,

I'm afraid it's impossible to distinguish such windows at the time.
We are planning to add several advanced methods of windows' identification in the future versions of our products. They would probably help in this case.

While testing VUE, I've notices that a couple of palettes (namely, Formatting Palette and Info) do remember their positions between lauches.
It's only Exploration Tools and Content, that are shown in the same location every time.
Have you tried to ask the VUE's developers to make these windows remember their positions/sizes between runs?

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/22/2010 02:43:47

Hi,

I'm afraid none of the VUE windows seem to understand multiple monitor setups though - if you move all the palettes to the secondary monitor then quit and restart, they are all drawn on the monitor that the main app window starts on.

We've just approached a developer to customise VUE for us, and we'll be including this in the list, but there are other bits of functionality we need first and I was just hoping AWM would have a secret weapon up its sleeve. I guess we'll have to see who gets there first :)

Cheers,

David.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register