Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Enhancements to Virtual Desktops Switcher window » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 5328

Jackson Allen

Posted: 07/29/2009 14:24:36

Here are a few enhancements I would like to see in the Virtual Desktops Switcher Window to make Virtual Desktops easier to use.

1) It needs to be dockable like the task bar to one of the 4 sides of the monitor.

2) It needs an auto hide option when it is docked to one of the sides of the monitor.

3) Need to show the windows on each virtual desktop box as they would be seen when it is active, so it looks like a mini image.

4) Based on number 3, need to be able to drag and drop windows from one virtual desktop box to another and have the window really move between virtual desktops.

5) Based on number 4, selecting a virtual desktop would have to be done with a double click instead of a single click as it is now.

Jack Allen

Jack Allen

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/30/2009 06:17:30

Dear Jack,

Thank you for your suggestions. I added your first and second items to our list of future changes.

3) Now you can see thumbnail of a window on VD Switcher if mouse over it.

4) Now it has this ability.

5) Why are you thinking that a double click better then a single click?  

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Jackson Allen

Posted: 07/30/2009 10:19:11

Thanks for the quick reply.

3) I did not see the windows in each box probably because I did not have several application running on the different desk tops.

4) Sort of the same ting for number 3. I did not try to move the only application on a single desk top because I had not read any where you could. I assumed when I clicked, really helpd the left mouse button down it would just select that virtual desktop.

5) My misunderstanding of 3 and 4, that if I moved to mouse to a box of a virtual desktop that was not the current one and pressed the left mouse button it would just select that virtual desktop.

So it appears the first 2 are the only thing that needs to be added in the future, which I hope is not too far off.

I have run into a problem with the Virtual Desktop Switcher that I will post else where.

Jack Allen

Jackson Allen

Posted: 07/31/2009 16:00:06

Here are some more thoughts on this.

1+2) If the Virtual Desktops Switcher window can not be made dockable or even if it can another option would be to have it go to the task bar like other windows when it is minimized. Then you could double click it and it would expand, select the Virtual Desktop and then minimize it again.

Also if the window was treated like other windows with the additional buttons and showed up in the AWM event log you could make it roll up or minimize by clicking or when it was idle.

3) What I meant by when it was the active Virtual desktop, you would see the different applications and the amount of space that occupied. In other words a mini view of the Virtual Desktop. It currently only shows an icon for each applications.

5) I still think it would be better to double click on the box to switch Virtual Desktops because if you press the left mouse button on an icon and decide not to move it to another Virtual Desktop, when you let up it selects that Virtual Desktop. For backward compatibility, an option may have to be added to do it one way or the other.

6)A new one. When the mouse is on one of the Virtual Desktop boxes and you press the right mouse button, it would show a list of application running on that Virtual desktop. This would be needed if number 3 was implemented and there were multiple applications on the Virtual Desktop and one of them was full screen, it would list the others. Even with the current layout this would help because if there are multiple of the same application on the Virtual desktop the icons all look the same. You may even have the same type of application on multiple Virtual desktops and are trying to determine which Virtual Desktop you need to switch to.

Jack Allen

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register