Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Pause background changes on Program detection? » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 3505

Syrinx

Posted: 05/09/2022 23:22:45

I'd like to see an option added to
Multiple Monitors > Background
where we can create a list of program.exe names to check prior to each 'desktop background change' being applied every X minutes and if they are detected as running the background doesn't change. A sort of exclusion list that pauses the change-overs so to speak.

I'm asking for this due to what I can only describe as intermittent 'hiccups' while playing games that I traced back to AWM and Explorer using 25% or more of my CPU while applying these changes. Most of the time it doesn't use nearly this much CPU when changing the backgrounds but on occasion, when it does, I noticed the background seems to shift to the new one then to blank then back to the old one then to the new one again as if there is some sort of contest going on. [I can't be sure of the exact order but I see all three at some point before it finally finshes and is left with the new images] I can't be sure AWM is at fault (perhaps there's some struggle with a handle on the existing transcoded image at that time?) however I'd like to avoid such hiccup periods while playing certain online games such as Diablo 3 where I play hardcore characters (if you die the character stays dead) and these 10-15 seconds of hiccups have caused the game to freeze (until AWM finishes) which in turn led to me losing characters I've spent many hours on.

At the moment I'm using a bat file to switch desktop profiles to one that doesn't change the background upon launching games but it'd be so much more ideal to have AWM check against a list of .exe names the user can supply and check if it is running then just go 'ok not right now'...We'll check again when X minutes passes like we normally would.

Thanks for considering my request and for the wonderful software!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/17/2022 00:17:40

Hello, Syrinx

Thank you for contacting us.

I'd like to see an option added to Multiple Monitors > Background where we can create a list of program.exe names to check prior to each 'desktop background change' being applied every X minutes and if they are detected as running the background doesn't change.
We'll consider your request and will post here if such feature is implemented.

As for the problem itself: have you noticed this problem with other games besides Diablo 3?

Does the game (or other games you've noticed the problem with) change the monitor's resolution when you start it?

How many background picture changes does it usually take (approximately) to cause the problem? Or the problem happens absolutely randomly?

Have you noticed whether the problem is associated with some particular pictures? If the problem happens with different pictures, what is the average size of the "problem" pictures?

What monitors you use and what are their resolutions?

Best regards.

Syrinx

Posted: 05/19/2022 21:46:06

Diablo 3 in particular I have running as borderless windowed so it's basically at 1920x1080 like the monitor. I've noticed it happen even when I'm not playing games but not consistently. Then by the time I notice it happening it's too late to pull up procmon to try and see whats happening behind the scenes. I have two folders broken down by size. One for my 1600x900 monitor and one for two 1920x1080 monitors (One is technically a tv). There's several thousand different pictures of the same size as the resolution it gets used on. It's set to randomly switches between images each hour.

I hadn't considered that it might actually be the images but I'll try to keep an out next time and see if there is anything wrong with the ones it's switching to (eg corrupted, incomplete etc). Sometimes days go by and everything is fine then poof it suddenly happens but after that it goes back to normal again. I wouldn't really worry about trying to troubleshoot it as the problem seems to occur randomly though I do appreciate it. Thanks!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register