Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «New Feature for Excluded Windows , Add 'negate' to window caption field » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 6283

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 10/10/2008 16:26:12

I've just started using GIMP (portable edition, but I shouldn't think that makes a difference), and the tool palette windows and menu tear-offs all end up loaded with title buttons that are not particularly useful for child windows - in fact the menu tear-offs become unusable, as they're not wide enough to give you any title bar left to move them around with!

The problem is that it seems all GIMP windows use the same class; the only way to differentiate them I can see is by caption, and even then, the only thing that identifies the main window (the one on which I do want the title buttons is that it always ends with '- GIMP'. So I really need to be able to exclude any window with the class gdkWindowToplevel and a caption which doesn't end in '- GIMP'. There doesn't seem to be a neat way (or, in fact, any way) to do this at present. Clearly the list of palette windows is not infinite, but its too long to put an exclusion rule in for each of them.

If the caption field could parse the '!' character to mean NOT, then I could put something like '!- GIMP' in, so that windows matching the class AND NOT the caption would get excluded.

I had originally thought to mention the possibility of using regex, but that's probably overkill, and actually would be a bit of a hack here, as there's no equivalent to the NOT operator for strings in regex, only individual characters.

Cheers,

Dave.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/15/2008 05:11:42

Dear David,

Thank you for your suggestion. We added your wish to our list of improvements.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 10/16/2008 03:41:30

Many thanks. BTW, the subscription system is still not working... :)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/29/2019 16:33:01

Hello, David

The way to use "Logical NOT" regular expressions in the Caption criterion of an exclusion/specific settings has been described in this topic. I hope you find it helpful.

Let us know if you have any questions regarding the subject.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 01/30/2019 03:16:44

Wow! You guys are meticulous in replying to forum posts, event after nearly 11 years! I have a feeling this problem is long gone with GIMP 2.10 (it doesn't seem to support menu tear-offs any more). But in any case, that's useful to know. Many thanks!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register