Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Launch Application list on selectin of Virtual Desktop » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 7191

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 08/05/2008 07:45:57

I have noticed that launching an application that is part of a virtual desktop switches to that desktop (I would like to be able to turn this feature on/off).  It would also be nice to have a list of programs that would be launched (if not already open) when a virtual desktop is selected.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/06/2008 01:24:47

Matt,

Thanks for the idea of launching specified applications on certain virtual desktop's activation, we'll surely consider it.

Matt Rasmussen wrote:
I have noticed that launching an application that is part of a virtual desktop switches to that desktop (I would like to be able to turn this feature on/off).

Please specify what does "application that is part of a virtual desktop" mean. Thanks.

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 08/06/2008 08:21:12

Alexey Fadeyev wrote:

Please specify what does "application that is part of a virtual desktop" mean. Thanks.

---
Have any questions? Mail to support@actualtools.com!

A program that you have created a specific rule for as part of a virtual desktop.  So if you have two virtual desktops created, and desktop 1 contains outlook (set to be specifically on that deskotp, and desktop 2 contains hyperterminal (also set to be specifically on desktop 2).

Currently it appears that when you launch an application that is specific to a desktop it activates that desktop when the program is loaded.  Or, if you are on desktop 2, and click the outlook tool in the tooltray you automatically switch to desktop 2.  While not all bad, actually prety cool, it would be nice to be able to turn 'off' that feature.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/07/2008 02:38:59

Matt,

Thanks for the explanation. Please tell me did you try to turn off the Switch to the target virtual desktop check box when assigning a window to a certain virtual desktop? This should avoid activating that desktop while opening the subject window.

As for the possible "turning off", to clarify the subject let's tell apart two situations:

1) Startup. You launch anew the application which has its main window assigned to a certain virtual desktop (e.g. Outlook in your case).

2) Activation. You open the hidden (minimized, minimized to the tooltray, placed on another virtual desktop, etc.) window of the already running application.

In first case, you can control the activation of the target virtual desktop with the check box mentioned above.

As for the second case, I can't imagine why you may need to disable the activation of the target desktop: the subject window is visible on that desktop only so that if you restore it from the tooltray it will appear on that desktop but you won't see it if the desktop activation will has been "turned off". If I understood you wrong then please explain your idea further. Thank you.

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 08/07/2008 08:14:33

The Switch to the target virtual desktop checkbox is not checked when this behaviour happens.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/12/2008 07:37:54

Matt,

This is quite strange, it's not the way it should work in. I have just checked this issue on my machine - it works as I described in my previous message (i.e. if you are not enabling the mentioned check box the launched window just moves to the specified desktop without activating it).

Please try to download the latest installation package of AWM from our website, there were some slight changes since May 15. Or, you can try out the beta 1 of the version 5.2 to see whether this problem is gone.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register