Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Always On Top Priority , Behavior with multiple windows marked "Always on Top" » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 8636

Doug Kuvaas

Posted: 04/10/2018 02:44:28

Currently, if there are multiple windows that are marked as "Always on Top", either window may be on top of the other.  It would be nice if it were possible to set priorities for the windows such that window "A" may be on top of window "B", but window "B" may not cover window "A".  

Steps to reproduce:
1) Create Startup triggers for 2 or more windows
2) Open up at least 2 windows that should be marked "Always on Top" plus one that is not marked "Always on top"
3) Verify that the always on top windows stay above the non-always on top window, but can cover each other.

Reproducibility:  Always

I am using Cygwin to run Linux programs fr om Windows, however it groups all of the windows taskbar icons together, so if a new window is created it might be covered by another window, and the task bar icons are stacked, making it difficult to see at a glance.

I have a program wh ere on close it prompts for confirmation, and if this prompt gets hidden by another window it makes the program appear as if it is locked up.  I want to ensure that this prompt is always on the very top, while others are just prevented from being buried behind the main program, which runs full-screen.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/11/2018 21:04:49

Hello, Doug

It would be nice if it were possible to set priorities for the windows such that window "A" may be on top of window "B", but window "B" may not cover window "A".
We'll consider your request and will post in this topic if it's implemented.

I am using Cygwin to run Linux programs fr om Windows, however it groups all of the windows taskbar icons together, so if a new window is created it might be covered by another window, and the task bar icons are stacked, making it difficult to see at a glance.

I have a program wh ere on close it prompts for confirmation, and if this prompt gets hidden by another window it makes the program appear as if it is locked up.

Do you mean these windows are set to be Always-on-top at startup, and they're active when you open them, but they're still hidden behind some other inactive Always-on-top window?

Best regards.

Doug K

Posted: 04/13/2018 01:08:17

Hi Bogdan,

Attached is an image showing what I am talking about.  Both of the windows have rules configured to make them always on top.  Either one is allowed to cover the other depending on which is active.  

User added an image

The behavior I would like to see is the command palette is ALWAYS the top most window, while both the command palette and main window sit above anything else not set to always on top.

The target window settings I am using are Window Caption = Window Name (substring match) and Program = XWin.exe.

The only option I am setting is Always on Top.

I do something similar in Linux using the tool devilspie2 (and, in fact I came upon ActualTools by searching for devilspie for windows).

Hopefully this helps.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/13/2018 22:38:02

Doug K,

Thank you for the explanation, it's clear. I just thought that maybe in some case inactive "On top" windows were able to overlap active "On top" windows, but now I see what you mean.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register