Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM Native Macro Function , Application Specific and Application Groups AWM Macros Function » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 6584

chgoguy7
Advanced user

Posted: 10/02/2007 19:07:31

I don't know if you would entertain a suggestion for new feature at this time, and for all I know this may have been suggested before, but here goes anyway.

I use AWM extensively with my large, wide-screen monitor and find myself rearranging and applying various AWM settings depending on what I am doing at any given time, for which the titlebar buttons come in very handy. But it would be nice to be able to apply all these settings at once within a given application, or within a group of applications. For example, when I watch videos, I typically have my video player on top of all windows at a quarter of the screen size in the upper-right corner of the screen. As I am working in other applications while watching videos, I resize and reposition all other windows to the left side of the screen. (I like to multi-task).

What I'm proposing is a macro function that would apply all these settings to all these applications with one macro. I know AWM already has functionality to apply existing keyboard macros. What I am suggesting is a AWM native macro function that would allow users to apply numerous setting changes to one or more applications simultaneously, but that would allow the user to also return to "Default" settings as well. The way I would employ this is via groups, with application specific settings within each group. Using my example, I would be able to create a "Video" group and copy into this group all the applications that I usually work in while watching videos. Activating the "Video" group, or macro, would apply settings to all the applications contained within that group, essentially arranging all my desktop applications for video watching, which normally takes me a dozen clicks to the AWM titlebar buttons. I imagine you would want to keep all general application settings in a "Default" group for applications that are not specifically re-designed within alternate settings and placed within a macro group. I also envision this allowing the user to activate the settings changes for just one application within any of these macro groups, which would apply the settings for just that one application.

Taking this functionality further, an additional AWM macros titlebar button could be created to allow users to apply group, as well as application specific, macros, using cascading menus, activated by just one additional AWM titblebar button.

I know that there are probably many other things that would need to be taken into account and that may be affected by this new functionality, but I think this could take AWM to the next level and give users even more reason to upgrade to AWM version 5.  

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/03/2007 00:39:20

Thank you for your feature request, though it is not the first one of that kind :) The feature that will enable users to create multiple window groups will be implemented as soon as possible.

Meanwhile you can create two different settings for the same windows. At the desktop you can create two shortcuts with the path to the Control Center. Using these shortcuts you will be able to change configurations.

If you need more information on the issue please let me know.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register