Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Tree structure for rules » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 7217

Rocky

Posted: 06/18/2007 13:49:02

I find that most of my window rules are exactly the same or very similar for certain groups of windows, but it's a pain to keep them in sync if I change anything. I think that if the way rules were setup was changed to a tree structure it would be easier to manage and have greater flexibility.

I think a picture is worth a thousand words in this case, so I have attached a simple mockup of what I mean.

Instead of having the rules specified for each window, a rule could be a node in the tree and windows to be affected by this rule are attached as children.
Cascading rules would mean you could also attach other rules as children and they inherit the properties of their parent, but you can override certain properties (maybe have the parent rules greyed out and any you override or add become normal).
Also this would allow you to attach excluded windows to specific rules, rather than having to either exclude it globally or setup a whole new rule for it.

The All Windows rule would be a magic node, one you cannot delete and automatically applies to everything except the excluded children. You cannot add windows to it, but you can add child rules which you can then override certain properties and add windows to.

This tree structure would allow windows under multiple rules too, although you would have to somehow deal with conflicting rules.

I hope this all makes sense because I think it would be very powerful and add much more flexibility.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/19/2007 05:18:07

Hello Rocky,

Thank you for your feature request. We will consider the possibility of the tree structure implementation in the next versions of our products.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register