Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Force specific application to specific monitor & maximize , Multi-monitor position management » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 5106

Garoad

Posted: 09/24/2014 22:46:05

If this doesn't already exist (it doesn't appear to), there really needs to be a way to force an application at all times onto a specific monitor for a multi monitor setup.

My particular problem is that sometimes a monitor doesn't come out of sleep mode fast enough (after windows sleep mode) and Windows thinks it needs to move applications on that monitor to one that is working. Once I get the other monitor to wake up, I also get the annoyance of having to re-position any windows I had open back to that monitor.

The closest we can get is to position the app's window using "restrict placement" at startup.  But this doesn't help with applications that were already started after sleep mode ends, and it also doesn't MAXIMIZE the window on it's monitor (maximize doesn't seem to be an option anywhere).

Basically I like to keep Opera running on one side monitor and often a file manager (Multi Commander) running on the other side monitor.  It's the only thing I truly need from AWM (a little disappointed it's still not possible after 2 version upgrades).

aph
Advanced user

Posted: 10/04/2014 19:55:45

"Restrict placement" doesn't force it off the first screen? That's surprising.

To maximize, have you tried using "Run keyboard macro" option set to the built-in Windows hotkey (Win+Up)?

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/06/2014 20:13:09

Dear Garoad,

thank you for your post!

Is the situation when your PC wakes up totally similar with Actual Multiple Monitors loaded and unloaded?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Garoad

Posted: 10/12/2014 05:18:52

I haven't tried using a macro yet (ideally it'd be automatic). But I should give that a try.

I would say that it behaves the same whether Actual is loaded or not for the third monitor where I keep Opera.  I tried using "Restrict Placement" for Multi Commander on the first (leftmost) monitor and that seems to work better, so at least that helps a bit.  What's surprising is that if I try that same feature on the rightmost monitor w/Opera, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, I realized it's not just related to sleep - when running a single-monitor game that runs at a lower resolution, I have a similar annoyance (w/Opera) - it ends up being repositioned (during the game, that's understandable), but I haven't been able to get it to return to fullscreen (automatically) after the display mode changes back to 1920x1200 x 3 monitor.  Any kind of display mode or display size changes are the issue.

If any of this helps, when I use the Position tab Restrict Placement's drag&drop feature to grab the window size (the window target thing), for the leftmost monitor showing Multi Commander it gets this:
Left -1928  (which I would think should be -1920)
Top -8 (I'd expect 0)
Right 3832 (I'd expect 0)
Bottom 22 (I'd expect 1200)

For the rightmost monitor running Opera when I grab the window position, it gets these values:
Left 1912 (I'd expect 1921)
Top -8 (I'd expect 0)
Right -8 (I'd expect 3840)
Bottom -8 (I'd expect 1200)

I run all 3 monitors at 1920x1200 (all the same type of monitor). When I put the values I'd expect to work for Opera, nothing happens (the Show button doesn't even show any green area).

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/12/2014 06:38:54

Top -8 (I'd expect 0)
I agree with you on the unexpected values. I suspect the Top = -8 is including the number of pixels of the window's frame. To me it should display Top = 0 when in fact it is at the top and internally keep track of the frame pixel size.

I'm curious when you maximize Opera on any of the screens when in this configuration do you get AWM reporting Top = 0, as you'd expect or is it still saying Top = -8?

I'm assuming you are running the three monitors in Desktop mode? You monitor configuration is Monitor #1, Monitor #2, Monitor #3?

Sincerely,
Lars

Garoad

Posted: 10/12/2014 12:17:32

Actually the Top = -8 is when Opera is maximized.  When I keep it windowed and just make it full size, the window placement tool picks up these values (a little better but still odd):

Left: 1920
Top: 0
Right: 19
Bottom: 0

I might be misunderstanding the values (they may actually be acting more like padding starting from the edge of the screen specified), but yeah it's still acting strange.  

Yes I believe what you describe is how I have the monitors set up - other than something like "Eyefinity" I didn't know there was another way.  This is a Win7 64 bit pc with an AMD R9 290X.  I think I've gotten Multi Commander to behave for the most part finally but Opera is really being stubborn on that 3rd (rightmost) monitor.

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/12/2014 14:00:16

I'm also using Window 7, 64-bit, currently dual monitor configuration: monitor #1 2560x1440; monitor #2 1440x2560 in desktop mode. It's a real pleasure using Firefox (or Opera) on a monitor #2 configuration.

When I write multiple monitor support for desktop mode I don't get a top value of -8 unless the frame value has been subtracted fr om a maximized window which doesn't have a frame, hence the frame size shouldn't be part of the maximized window positioning.  

Your total desktop real estate is x= 5760, y= 1200, so you should number like:
Monitor #1: x=0-1920, Monitor #2: x=1921-3840, Monitor #3: x=3841-5760 assuming you have the monitors order like that and all monitors are on the same vertical plane y=0-1200. If you have Monitor #1 as the center with Monitor #2 left, with Monitor #3 right, Monitor #2 will have negative numbers. One of the biggest problems I've encountered are applications not behaving themselves when they were last loaded on a monitor which doesn't exist this load time and it's displayed off screen wh ere at a minimum the application should prompt you asking if you wanted it moved to one of the available monitors, including of course retaining all the window/dialog locations on the new monitor as they existed on the previous monitor -- effectively retaining exactly your working environment.

Garoad, I'm not trying to create more work or problems, but seems to me you would get more utility from rotating each monitor clockwise (90 degrees) for x=0-3600, y=0-1920, it's not as wide but I've always found the vertical resolution always underrepresented. If you have an Nvidia video card rotating the primary monitor can be troublesome as the video card doesn't correctly display BIOS/POST correctly. I don't know the AMD R9 290X product. I do know that Nvidia has some great quality but is a total failure in correctly displaying video playback as the blacks/contrast are almost always displayed in error and they have been totally incompetent in correcting the defect for the past seven years. I switched from AMD as they couldn't get the Hydra software to work correctly (but video playback was perfect). I suspect I'll be moving back to AMD when I get my 4K.

I keep thinking I'll dump forever using multiple monitors when I get my 4K monitor. You will be able to get one of those 54" curved 8K monitors to give you your total immersion.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/14/2014 00:35:52

Gentlemen,

thank you for your posts!

Garoad, please try the following:
  • configure your Window Settings for each app that you have to reposition manually - set each of those to be positioned the way you want it at window startup (on certain monitor, start maximized, in the Divider tile, etc.);
  • enable the Hotkeys;
  • assign and enable the Stop/start Actual Multiple Monitors hotkey.

Then, when you find your windows positioned improperly, use that hotkey to stop and then start Actual Multiple Monitors. This will reapply all the rules and it should help.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register