Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Monitor "blanker" » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 4770

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 12/12/2012 16:58:32

Would it be possible to implement a feature of the ability to "blank" monitors?

For example, if I'm watching a movie on one monitor, it would be great if I could black-out the other monitors -- but without turning them off. I loathe how much craziness Windows juggles around when turning off an HDMI or DisplayPort monitor! (even though AWM helps this with the relocate-windows feature)

I realize that perhaps it's not possible to selectively tell an individual monitor to go into power-saving mode (like what Windows does if the computer isn't used for a certain number of minutes). But what about a feature that mimics this behavior -- like covering the monitor with a black "sheet" that covers the entire monitor?

For example, there are a few writing/editor programs that have this ability, called distraction-free environment. When you start using the writing program, it covers up/blanks out all the other monitors, to stop any distractions while you write. I believe this writing program has the feature (others have it too):

http://they.misled.us/dark-room

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/15/2013 23:11:56

Hello Steve.

We'll consider your request.

Best regards.

gavind

Posted: 01/20/2013 10:09:38

+1 on this. I think a lot of users would find this useful too. User added an image

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/21/2013 00:13:24

Hello gavind.

Your suggestion has been taken into account.

Best regards.

Roel Van Reeth

Posted: 01/22/2013 04:26:30

If I may add to this...

On Windows 7 I used to use a program for this which could dim anything but the active window, using an overlay with a configurable transparency for the overlay. Unfortunately, on Windows 8 the installer simply hangs... (for those interested: the program is slimKEYS, and the plugin to dim other windows is slimSMOKE - the application has many other features, but that was the only one I really used).

This approach is much more flexible than outright blanking out monitors. You can still blank out monitors if you want (by setting the overlay transparency to 0%), but you also have the option of setting the overlay transparency to something like 10% so you can still slightly see all other windows (without the other monitors being too bright).

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/23/2013 01:39:09

Hello Roel.

Your request has been added into our Feature Request list.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/10/2013 10:30:50

+1 on this one for me. What would be very nice if there also is an option that automatically blanks a monitor if I have not been there with my mouse for more than a certain time period that I have defined. I do not know whether that is technically feasible, but it would be very nice to have. I am currently using 3 monitors, and what I have discovered is that I sometimes work on all 3 monitors and then focus on a program on just 1 or 2 monitors. After a while I then realize I could have turned off that 3rd monitor (on the monitor itself) to save some energy. Only when I start using it I switch it on again. I think this would be a very nice addition to the original suggestion.

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 03/10/2013 11:16:54

The imac has something like this. My friend showed me a shortcut where you press shift-eject and turns the screen black. I think it might be putting the monitor into low power mode, and not just covered black.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/20/2013 03:52:46

Hello gentlemen

We'll take into account your suggestions.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register