Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM7, a couple of ideas » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 4041

Wolfie

Posted: 03/21/2012 04:25:51

Just upgraded to version 7 and I'm liking the new interface.  Seems to be more sensible, where the same options aren't offered in multiple places.

So I decided to try the divider.  Maybe I'm missing the point of it and if I am, forgive me.  But when setting it up, I was expecting the space of the selected window to start acting like it was multiple desktops (in a way).  For example, when splitting the main monitor (I use two monitors consistently), I was hoping that one area would be treated like the main monitor area while the other areas would be somewhat like 'extended' areas that I could move things into but for all intents and purposes wouldn't be accessible when maximizing a window or something.  In case that sounds confusing, and I seem to do that a lot...  Imagine I divided the main desktop so that it's left 90% and right 10% and the right is divided into top 30% and bottom 70%.  I'd like to mark the left side as being the main area and if I try to maximize a window  (say Firefox), it would only fill the left area and not the other divided areas.  Likewise, the desktop gadgets would fall within the main area (unless dragged to a different divided area).  Also if I do something like drag Trillian to the lower right area and to the side, have it 'dock' there but not override the AWM divided area.  Not sure if this was even an intention of the divider or not but thought I'd toss it out there.

Next for the virtual desktops.  For the virtual switcher, the following items come to mind:

- A hot key to show all of the VD's (virtual desktops) that are available, similar to when switching tasks (Win+Tab) where the different monitors with VD's will show a pop-up of the VD's for that monitor.
- Instead of a window to use for switching between VD's, be able to optionally have a little bar on the far right of the taskbar that, when clicked, will either switch (if only two desktops for that monitor) or show the different VD's and let me choose fr om that.  When I say a little bar, I mean something similar to the "show desktop" button that is available in Windows 7.  Perhaps even changing the button or behavior of it so that it could be used in place of adding a new button.  Another alternative would be to imitate Linux, where there's a toolbar that could be turned on so it'd be like having the window but blended into the taskbar.
- Be it a window or clicking a slim button on the taskbar button (previous item I mentioned), show only icons that represent the different desktops but not icons of programs running within those desktops.  I might want to switch to a desktop but not have to choose the program to make active.
- Let me move the window for one monitors VD switcher to another monitor.  ie, if monitor 2 has VD's enabled, let me move the switcher fr om monitor 2 to monitor 1 so I can control it from there.
- In the little 'video' for the VD product, something that is shown, and I'm sure was for visual purposes and not functionality, was seeing the different desktops in different areas of the main desktop (first in top left, second in top right, third in bottom left).  Something like that would be nice too, wh ere the different desktops can be seen all at one time, in a "window in window" style, wh ere clicking on a VD will expand it.

I'm still toying with the features but thought I would mention what I had thought about so far.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/09/2012 03:47:29

Hello, Wolfie.

With regard to the first request - we'll consider it.

Also if I do something like drag Trillian to the lower right area and to the side, have it 'dock' there but not override the AWM divided area.
Could you send us (support@actualtools.com) a screenshot and a step-by-step description of this situation?

All requests referring to Virtual Desktops also will be considered.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register