New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Add a "Reapply Settings" button to the title buttons » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 12651

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/09/2012 00:33:19

Since it's often necessary to reapply some settings, please add a "Reapply Settings" action/button to the available title buttons.

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/09/2012 23:03:28

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the post.

We'll consider this request.

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/10/2012 00:55:16

Have you tried to use the "Spanner" title button (Actual Window Manager -> Options -> General -> Manage Window Settings Via "Spanner" title button)?

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/10/2012 23:14:16

Vasiliy Ivachev,

I'd forgotten about that, and that's adequate as long as the title buttons are still being displayed (see "Generally unreliable" in Tech Support.

I think the best solution to this problem overall would be to have AWM put a reapply settings option in the context menu for the taskbar button of programs that it has an active rule for.

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/13/2012 21:38:46

Mike, here it is - the application context menu -> Actual Window Manager -> Reapply settings (Ctrl+Shift+R by default).

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/14/2012 23:22:01

Some of the options you can implement in AWM rules, either singly or in combination, can make it impossible to get to the "Reapply settings" command using the mouse (both the one in the application context menu and the one you access from the wrench button), and there are some apps that don't even have a title bar.

For example, when the rule includes removing the title bar's icon and buttons, it also removes access to to the application context menu. That's not a problem if you have the AWM "Modify applied settings" (wrench) button in the title bar, but I use AWM with some apps that either prevent the AWM title buttons from being displayed (e.g., the Windows Master Volume applet, C:\WINDOWS\system32\sndvol32.exe) or cause them to disappear intermittently. I've also got an app that has no title bar at all, so there is no context menu or wrench button possible. Even if you were to add the "Reapply settings" command just to the context menus for the taskbar buttons, this approach could still be blocked if a rule includes "Remove taskbar entry."

The bottom line is that a mouse-accessible "Reapply settings" command does not exist for all apps in all situations. To at least partially remedy this, the "Reapply settings" command should be added to the taskbar buttons' context menus and to the screen icons' context menus.

Using only the features currently available in AWM, the only solution for this is to use a keyboard shortcut to reapply the settings. I set it up to use the Win+Alt+R, but, in my opinion, that still leaves a "hole" in the GUI.

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/19/2012 23:27:25

Hello Mike,

but I use AWM with some apps that either prevent the AWM title buttons from being displayed (e.g., the Windows Master Volume applet, C:\WINDOWS\system32\sndvol32.exe) or cause them to disappear intermittently.
Actual Window Manager must be work correctly with the Windows Master Volume applet (C:\WINDOWS\system32\sndvol32.exe).

I've tested this with your configuration files and this works correctly.

Could you check whether the Windows Master Volume applet and Actual Window Manager are running under the same user name or not?

What antivirus and firewall systems do you use?

What other applications do you have the problem with (names, versions)?

The bottom line is that a mouse-accessible "Reapply settings" command does not exist for all apps in all situations. To at least partially remedy this, the "Reapply settings" command should be added to the taskbar buttons' context menus and to the screen icons' context menus.
- We'll consider this.

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/21/2012 00:03:18

Could you check whether the Windows Master Volume applet and Actual Window Manager are running under the same user name or not?

I checked, and they are both under the same user name.

What antivirus and firewall systems do you use?

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2012 for both antivirus and firewall.

What other applications do you have the problem with (names, versions)?

ATI Catalyst Control Center 12.1
File Locator Pro 6.0
XYplorer 10.8
Elpis 0.9.1.0

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/21/2012 01:45:38

Mike, could you check whether the problem still persists with Norton Internet Security 2012 unloaded or not?

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/21/2012 15:13:16

Mike, could you check whether the problem still persists with Norton Internet Security 2012 unloaded or not?

I can temporarily disable some of its functions individually, but I can't prevent it from loading without completely uninstalling it. If you think it might be causing problems, you might want to discuss it with someone at Symantec.

--
Mike

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login