Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Specific settings use Default Settings when not changed » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 5823

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 01/20/2012 09:09:26

I have specific settings for some windows and i think there will be more coming, because often i just need a specific button for only one application or some feature does not work with an application and so on.

When I create a new "Specific Setting" it copies all settings from my "Default settings" which is good, because so I only have to change the few settings, that I want to behave differently.

The problem arises when I change my "Default settings", because for example I decide it would be a good Idea to (not) have the "AltMin"-Button in the TitleBar of ALL windows.
So now I have to (un)check this checkbox in the "Default settings" AND EVERY "Specific setting" i have ever created...

Another good example for this problem is the specific "Skype"-Setting that comes with AWM. This setting only exists because the TitleBar-Buttons have to be shifted by 4 positions in Skype. If I now change my "Default Settings" after a fresh Install of AWM I would suppose they are also applied to Skype. But they aren't because of the Specific Skype setting, that only exists for the Button-Shifting.

My idea is the following: Just enable the "triple state" behaviour for the checkboxes and radiobuttons, with the third state (checkbox with little square in it) meaning: Use the setting from "Default Settings".
For all the comboboxes and textfields: They are all coupled with a checkbox or radiobutton so you could disable them as long as the button is in the third state.

This would make things so much easier!

Best Regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 01/20/2012 12:13:03

You are full of creativity Bertram  ;)  A similar idea has been posted before (but not as elaborate as yours). I really like your suggestion!
Right now I have about 28 specific settings after one year of AWM use (both still increasing  :) ), and I have already had situations where I had to go through all of them to revise them, because I had changed a default setting.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/24/2012 02:54:12

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for the post.

I've added this suggestion to our list of our feature requests.
We'll consider this.

Also you will be able to select a few Specific settings and change their settings at the same time in the next version.

Best regards.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 05/05/2012 12:26:14

The problem with default and specific window settings (especially when you have a lot of them) is still a problem and with the new features ("custom title buttons at the level of particular window settings" and "Combo Actions") this problem is even worse.

I have 10 specific window settings. I now want to have a new title button with a combo action on all my windows. So i add it to the default settings and then i repeat this for all 10 specific settings... I know you are working on the "Multi-Selection-Edit" for the custom title buttons (and btw: the "Multi-Selection-Edit is a great help for the other options!), but even when this is possible i would rather have something like i described above: Specific settings automatically use the default settings until the particular setting is changed. For the new custom title buttons you could make something like this:
- Seperate the "normal" title buttons (which can only be checked/unchecked and not removed) and the "custom" title buttons into two lists
- For the "normal" title buttons there could be a triple state checkbox as i described in my first post
- For the "custom" title buttons list, there could be a checkbox "use default settings". If this checkbox is activated, the list is greyed out and automatically synchronized with the default settings. Only if i uncheck "use default settings", i can modifiy the list.

Best Regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/15/2012 01:54:55

Hello Bertram.

Thanks for the post.

Your request has been refreshed.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/19/2013 01:25:00

Hello Bogdan,

I am bumping this thread because right now I really need this option. Let me explain. I just started using my 2nd monitor in portrait mode, with the intention to move between portrait and landscape as I need. In my default settings on the tab Size I have set under Options: After moving to another monitor: Keep aspect ratio. That was the setting that was the right one when using my second monitor in landscape mode. My first monitor has a resolution of 1280*768, my 2nd monitor has 1024*768. In that case this was the right setting. But when using my 2nd monitor in portrait mode it means that a window displayed on my 2nd monitor at 768*450 for example will now become 1280*359 which is unworkable.

Now, I could set the default setting to "Leave as is" or "Fit target monitor", but that does not work because I also have about 50 specific settings (still growing in number) and I would also have to change those items. I know I can do that by using the multi selection edit, but then I also change the items that may not follow the default settings. Moreover, if I turn my 2nd monitor back to landscape I would have to do the same thing but now the other way around, again by doing so also changing the items that should not follow the default settings. So right now I can only change the default settings back and forth between "Fit to target monitor" and "Leave as is". However, the specific settings are usually for the programs I use most, so that gives me a big chance of not being able to achieve what I want. :(

I hope that this contribution illustrates the importance and desirability of the requested feature.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/11/2013 13:40:38

Hello Pim

but then I also change the items that may not follow the default settings

Could you clarify what items are you talking about and give me an example?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register