Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Per-application Volume controls in title bar/context menu , kinda says it all... » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 6645

Lewis Smith

Posted: 07/14/2011 14:44:17

This is a feature I'm surprised hasn't come up before. It's something I was considering in my plans for my own operating system, but actualtools is a good platform to include it in.
To be completely clear about what I mean, let me explain in more detail.

Windows Vista and 7 have a volume mixer:
User added an image

Having to open up volume control and switch to the mixer is a pain, and it seems more logical to do it on the individual application window.

The application's volume slider should only control the multiplier for the application not the overall system volume.
IE: system vol is 80%, application volume is 50%, result is 40% of maximum volume.
That should be simple enough as it's how the windows mixer works.

Some additional options I think would be useful are:
Un/Mute This
Un/Mute All
Mute All except This (Enable only, or disabled by any other option)
Mute when out of focus (on/off)
Use Headphones/Speakers Only

Also add per application rules like with other AWM features to start muted etc.

Hopefully people will agree this is a useful feature and we will see it in AWM soon!

zegames zegames
Advanced user

Posted: 07/14/2011 15:57:44

Volumouse v2 already support it:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/volumouse_beta.html

Lewis Smith

Posted: 07/14/2011 16:11:18

It may be possible to achieve something similar with that, but it's not nearly as user friendly as my suggestion would be. Too much configuration.
Also who wants loads of different tools? I'd much rather have one tool that does it all, and Actual Tools almost does that.

However, having a button on the title bar that will change the volume with scrolling as well as left click and show the context menu (with previously outlined options) when right-clicked would be good. So that suggestion at least inspired that.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/15/2011 00:53:29

Hello Lewis,

Thanks for the post.

We'll consider this request.

Best regards.

maks

Posted: 07/15/2011 18:17:40

Also who wants loads of different tools?
splendid remark ;) concerning my opinion, i really want to substitute some of my applications for AWM

for example, at the moment the program 'volu-mouse' doesn't work normally when AWM 6.5 is enabled
so i think, maybe it is a nice idea - not only to remove incompatibilities between these 2 applications, but also to borrow some of volu-mouse's features?

i mean, it would be good to have the possibility (in AWM) to change the volume using mouse wheel when:

- scrolling over task-bar
- scrolling over desk-top
- scrolling on screen edges
- scroling over a title bar

of course, an austere on-screen display (like in volu-mouse) should accompany the process of changing the volume, but this may be discussed later

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/22/2011 03:19:31

Hello Maks,

Thanks for the message.

We'll consider your request.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics