Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Stop windows jumping the stack X-Mouse , Possibility to trap and prevent windows changing their stack position? » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 7037

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 02/11/2011 11:29:02

I've raised a message about this problem with Lotus Notes before - I use X-Mouse to enable 'Focus follows mouse', which I find incredibly useful. However, 2 applications I use a lot don't play nicely - namely Lotus Notes and GIMP. Both of these, on receiving the activation message when the mouse enters the window, raise themselves to the top of the window stack, obscuring other applications and even (in GIMPs case), its own dialogue boxes! Which makes it really tedious to use most of the features of GIMP, as they pop up dialogue boxes.

The 'Ignore Deactivation' setting doesn't work for either of these apps. In Notes, it stops any Notes dialogue boxes getting focus at all, and in GIMP, it stops you manually raising the window by clicking on it, so its always now behind any other window on the screen.

I presume the applications generate windows messages to raise themselves - would it be possible for AWM to catch these, and see if they were the result of a user click (i.e. user intentionally raising the window), rather than just getting focus?

Many thanks,

David.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/13/2011 23:15:20

Hello David,

Could you give me links to your versions of X-Mouse, GIMP and Lotus Notes?

I use X-Mouse to enable 'Focus follows mouse'
Where is this option?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 02/14/2011 12:29:11

Hi,

GIMP: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/portableapps/GIMPPortable_2.6.11_Rev_3.paf.exe
TweakUI: http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

TweakUI setting is Mouse->X-Mouse Activation follows mouse checked, Autoraise when activating unchecked. Screencap attached.

The Lotus client is more complex. I use a really old but officially distributed corporate version. I found a copy on a filesharing site - if you're really keen you can search for C94QIEN.exe and then follow the instructions at http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/2006/09/lotus-notes-702-nomad-review.html. It will need a licence to run properly though. You should see exactly the behaviour I described with GIMP, and I'm happy to participate in testing with the Lotus client as and when...

Thanks,

David.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/15/2011 02:36:45

Hello David,

Please, try to use the "Stay always-on-top" option (Never & Freeze) to GIMP and Lotus Notes.

But you will have to minimize all other windows to get this applications on top.

We don't see another solution.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register