Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Add option to rename Start menu button » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 7540

Michael Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/14/2010 19:50:10

How about adding the ability to rename the Start button under Multiple Monitors/Taskbar where you have the Stretch the Start button option?

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/01/2011 02:10:46

Hello Michael,

Why do you need it? :)

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/01/2011 02:58:14

Primarily to shorten it so that it doesn't take up as much space in the taskbar (the ability to eliminate the "Start" text altogether would also be an excellent option). There are small shareware apps that can rename the Start button, but they don't work reliably. You can also edit explorer.exe to rename the Start button (I've renamed it to * or  [Alt 0160]), and unlike the apps that rename it, the new name will rename unless explorer.exe gets replaced, but this isn't really a good idea. Even if there were a little app that could do this well, I'd prefer being able to avoid modifying explorer.exe or avoid adding an extra app. It would help if AWM could do it.

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/01/2011 03:57:25

Hello Mike,

There are some themes that can change the start button to a little button.

Why don't you want to use them?

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/01/2011 04:14:02

I've put a lot of effort into creating my own theme, and I don't want to change anything other than the Start button text. If you know of some way to reduce the size of the Start button and/or remove the text while keeping the rest of my theme, I'd be happy to give it a try.

There are many places on the web where you can find instructions for modifying explorer.exe to rename the Start button, and apparently, a lot of people who like to do so. Many people do it for other reasons than wanting to minimize the size. Considering this, I thought it might be a valuable addition to AWM's capabilities. If you won't consider it, I guess I'll just go back to my modified explorer.exe, but Windows doesn't like it when you mess with its files.

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/02/2011 01:43:01

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the request.

We'll consider your suggestion.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0