Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Hide irrelevant text in the Specific Settings table » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 7465

Michael Beight

Posted: 10/02/2010 14:09:57

Hi,

I'd like to suggest an improvement.

When looking at the Specific Settings list:
For each program, the "Window Class", "Window Caption", and "Program" fields are displayed even if they are not relevant for that program.

For example, when I open the settings for a particular program, on the Target Window page... and I uncheck "Window caption" (illustrated in screenshot), the grayed out text there still appears when I go back to the list.  This can be confusing/misleading, and it also just adds noise when you're trying to look at the list.
I think grayed-out text should not show up in the list.

Grayed out:
User added an image

..But still there:
User added an image

Michael Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 10/02/2010 15:32:29

I disagree. I think this is useful information, since you might need to know what information is being detected for that field if you were having a problem with establishing a rule that works properly. I don't find it to be the least bit confusing to see the grayed out data.

--
Mike

Michael Beight

Posted: 10/02/2010 15:45:58

Michael,

Apologies if I was not clear:
I am not asking them to get rid of the grayed-out text;  I find that useful too.

I am talking about how that text continues to appear in the main "Specific Settings" list of all programs.

Displaying that information in the list is the same as saying, "This data is used to find this window.", which is of course not correct.  That's why I find it misleading..

Michael Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 10/03/2010 16:58:14

My apologies. I didn't look closely enough at the screen captures you included in your message. I thought you were referring to the display shown when an individual window rule and the Index button are selected. I'm not in the habit of using the Specific Settings list, since it doesn't seem to provide any unique information, and to be honest, I don't see how it's of any value. I prefer to keep the window rules sorted in ascending order in the left pane and to select one of the rules in combination with the Index button when reviewing individual settings. I find that I'm almost always interested in the settings for a single window when I use the AWM user interface and seeing the target-window data for all of my many window rules on a single page doesn't help me in any way. Maybe if the Specific Settings list included user-selectable columns for all of the other windows settings (under Startup, Size, Position, etc.) I'd have use for it. Maybe you could point out some use for this listing that I'm overlooking.

--
Mike

Michael Beight

Posted: 10/03/2010 17:19:32

Michael,

I use the list for opening a specific program's settings.  That's about it.  I will use the columns to sort once in a while, as you alluded to.  I personally wouldn't really have a use for more columns, I think, but each to their own.

By the way, apparently the order of the list in the left pane has meaning:
How AWM Selects a Proper Rule To Apply

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/05/2010 22:13:06

Michael,

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, you are right. The situation is not correct. We'll improve it.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Michael Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 10/06/2010 15:20:13

Jack, can you please explain to me the intended use for the Specific Settings list being discussed here? I'm afraid I don't see it as being of much use. Why would I want to view a list of just the Target Window information for all window rules? It seems that, if I need to know this information for some reason, such as troubleshooting a rule, I'd be better off selecting that rule in the left pane and clicking the Target Window button, since any changes that might be necessary would have to be made there anyway.

By the way, it would be great if you could add a user-selectable default sort order for the left pane. I would much rather have it sort in ascending alphanumeric order by default and have it automatically re-sort the contents any time a change is made, such as adding or deleting a rule or renaming a rule.

--
Mike

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/07/2010 08:01:14

The subject issue is fixed. The fix will be available in the upcoming beta 2.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register