New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Virtual Desktops , Problems with (not) switching desktops » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 22177

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 11/02/2009 15:12:51

Could you tell me what kinds of events cause AWM (currently running 5.5b2, but have seen this behaviour ever since virtual desktops were introduced) to switch from one virtual desktop to another? I get 2 slightly irritating effects (one much more so than the other).

Firstly, the most recent effect: I created a rule to move MediaMonkey on startup to desktop 2 - which works, but AWM always switches to desktop 2 when MM starts, even with that particular option unticked.

The second effect is more difficult to describe, but ends up with AWM cycling between 2 virtual desktops at high speed, and is very difficult to escape from - usually it is possible to bring up the desktop switcher window and quickly click on a desktop, but this doesn't always seem to work. During the 'cycling', the machine is unusable, as windows are appearing and disappearing constantly.

I do use the X Mouse feature of TweakUI, and I wondered if applications stealing or getting focus can cause AWM to switch desktops? Anyway, be grateful for any ideas...

Thanks,

Dave.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/03/2009 06:04:14

David, we need some more details to reply properly.

For the first issue, please specify the Target Window settings you made for MediaMonkey.

For the second issue, please enable the logging and send us the log right after you encounter this cycle switching again: the log should contain the information about windows causing that cycling.

Thank you for your help!

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 11/03/2009 06:44:30

Hmm - having reverted to 5.5b1, this problem seems to have gone away (at least, it just stayed on my main virtual desktop when I launched MM). Perhaps it was something in b2 that triggered it? When the update to b2 comes out, I'll upgrade and try again.

By the way, MM shows a splash screen and then draws its main window (which all takes a good few seconds) before being moved to the second virtual desktop - is that normal? Any hope for something similar to the 'prevent window jumping' for moving to virtual desktops? :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/13/2009 01:46:46

Hi David!

David Lomas wrote:
When the update to b2 comes out, I'll upgrade and try again.
Are there any updates for the subject issue?

David Lomas wrote:
Any hope for something similar to the 'prevent window jumping' for moving to virtual desktops?
Sure! It will be added in the upcoming beta 3, thank you for this note! :)

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/16/2009 22:47:18

David, I'd like to let you know that the "prevent window jumping" mode now affects the Move to Virtual Desktop action too. The change will be available in beta 3.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 11/19/2009 16:39:51

Just had the 'desktop cycling' recur with MediaMonkey and AWM 5.5b2. I managed to get logging enabled, but when I did, the continuous cycling stopped. However, every time I manually switched to desktop 1, it jumped straight back to desktop 2 (where MM was running). Here's the log file:

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 11/19/2009 16:44:42

BTW, I also emailed you a zip file of my configuration files recently after a crash - that will have the rule for MediaMonkey in it - let me know if you need it separately.

Thanks,

David.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/07/2009 03:20:16

Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
David, I'd like to let you know that the "prevent window jumping" mode now affects the Move to Virtual Desktop action too. The change will be available in beta 3.

Just been testing this in AWM5.5b3 and it does indeed stop the splash screen showing and moves MediaMonkey straight to virtual desktop 2 as per the rule I have set up. The only problem is that when I now switch to desktop 2, I can see the MM taskbar icon, but it won't show its window! All I can do is exit it, and it does appear to be running normally (i.e. it displays the usual dialogue box if its in the middle of downloading new podcasts)  If I temporarily stop AWM and launch MM, it opens on the (now only) desktop fine, and when I resume AWM, it moves to desktop 2 and works as normal.

Cheers,

Dave.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/07/2009 03:26:39

Hmm - doesn't work quite as 'normally' as I'd implied. I just tried a test of minimising MM on desktop 2 and right-clicking its icon (which is all I can do if I launch MM when AWM is running). The screen flickered, MM quit instantly, the desktop switched back to desktop 1, and the MM taskbar context menu appeared at position 0,0 (top left) on the primary monitor. It all happened very fast, so I may have missed something, but now I can report that the MM process is definitely gone from the task list, and I can't switch to desktop 2 any more - if I do, I see the label for a fraction of a second before it flicks back to desktop one. I enabled logging for this simple switch and have attached it below - not much to go on. Firefox is running on desktop 1.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/07/2009 03:33:56

Sorry - probably should have tested more thoroughly before posting  :oops:

It seems that whilst MM is working, it can't create any windows or menus when AWM is running with the rule to move to desktop 2 applied. So although starting MM with AWM paused means its main window is drawn OK, when AWM is started again, it paralyses MM. The main window controls (such as changing library, etc.) work fine, and the main window is updated. But all main or context menus, and popup windows are disabled.

Hope that helps - sorry for the multiple postings!

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register