Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Maximize to desktop? , Why is there no option to maximize to multiple monitors? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8679

Mark Johnson

Posted: 09/16/2009 10:01:37

AWM 5.4 on Windows XP SP3

I am really surprised to see there is not a 'maximize to desktop' option for sizing windows across multiple monitors.

The only way I have found to implement it without auto-hiding the taskbar is to set either width or height (whichever does not have the taskbar) to "100% of desktop", and then to actually measure the usable desktop space not used by the taskbar, and set the other dimension as absolute pixels.  

For example, with one particular desktop theme the taskbar has a height of 30 pixels when displayed on the bottom.  Since each monitor is 1280x1024, I have to subtract 30 from 1024 to come up with the vertical dimension to use.  I have to use the settings "100% of desktop" for X, and the very awkward "994 pixels" for Y.  Then if I move the taskbar or use a different theme, those settings no longer work.

Problems seen:
I would expect to be able to set an app to "100% of desktop" x "100% of desktop", but that completely ignores the height/width of the taskbar.  This definitely seems like a bug.

If the taskbar is on the bottom, I can set a window to "100% of desktop" (width) x "100% of current monitor" (height).  That seems to work, but the AWM buttons are no longer in the right place, but they instead are moved so they are located on the left monitor.

So... the only way I have found to get a correctly-working "maximize to desktop" for multiple monitors is to measure the height or width of the taskbar, and then subtract that from the maximum height or width of that dimension.  That is awkward to say the least, and then has to be changed if the taskbar is moved or the desktop theme is changed.

Where is "maximize to desktop"?  Why does "100% of desktop" ignore the taskbar?

Thanks,
Mark.

Mark Johnson

Posted: 09/16/2009 14:18:00

Here is what I mean about 'Maximize to desktop'.
It is an important feature for multiple monitors that is a very prominent part of ultramon and other multiple monitor utilities that I have used -- http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/windows.asp  

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/16/2009 22:55:55

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your message. Yes, the bug with "100% of desktop" option and taskbar is confirmed. We'll fix it.

To "maximize to desktop" a window, right-click on Maximize button.

If the taskbar is on the bottom, I can set a window to "100% of desktop" (width) x "100% of current monitor" (height). That seems to work, but the AWM buttons are no longer in the right place, but they instead are moved so they are located on the left monitor.

Could you make a screenshot depicting the mentioned problem?

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/17/2009 08:32:36

Mark Johnson wrote:

I would expect to be able to set an app to "100% of desktop" x "100% of desktop", but that completely ignores the height/width of the taskbar. This definitely seems like a bug.

Mark, this is not a bug. Just imagine that the taskbar is placed to the right side of the left monitor in the dual-monitor setup. How should the taskbar size be considered in such case?

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register