Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM 5.4 and window redraw bug , Windows not redrawing properly under certain circumstances » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6497

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 08/10/2009 09:48:48

Now, I should start out by saying I'm not 100% convinced this is AWM 5.4 causing the problem, but a few hints have led me to this:

- Firstly, it began on a newly installed laptop (where I originally blamed video drivers), but has now started on my old desktop on which nothing has changed, other than having to reinstall 5.4 to cure a registration bug (Alex - re emails - it happened at home too :()

- Secondly, closing AWM seems to cure the bug, but I rarely run for more than a few minutes without AWM, so it could be coincidence.

Basically, some windows fail to redraw every single rectangle (not sure what the technical terminology is, but windows seem to be redrawn as a series of rectangles until the whole window is displayed). Sometimes none are drawn, sometime a few are drawn. The app is definitely active and focussed, as moving the mouse over the window can cause other parts to be redrawn too, and sometimes it's possible to 'paint' the window in using the mouse!

To reproduce (usually), clever timing is required:

1. Have 2 maximised windows on the same monitor (seems to happen on both primary and secondary)
2. Using the taskbar icons, minimise one of the windows, so the other is visible.
3. Now, as you move the mouse over the taskbar icon, the thumbnail is drawn. If you click on the icon after the border of the thumbnail is drawn, but before the contents of the thumbnail are drawn, 95% of the time, the window will not redraw correctly.

I tried disabling window thumbnails, and couldn't reproduce the redraw glitch, but I'm not sure if this is because of how critical the timing is in clicking the icon, or whether it really is the thumbnail drawing that is causing the problem.

I have also disabled this option on my laptop, and the problem has gone away there too, which suggests to me this is the cause. My vague hypothesis is that some OS redraw code is used to produce the thumbnails, and if this is interrupted, perhaps the real window is fooled into thinking some parts of it have already been painted, and so it doesn't bother to repaint them on the screen? Probably it doesn't work like this at all, but its was just a thought!

So, anybody else noticed this?

Thanks,

David.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/11/2009 06:37:42

David, thank you for the detailed report. The redraw problem is surely caused by the Window Thumbnails feature so that we will try to eliminate it (I mean, the problem, not feature :) ) in the near future releases (possibly, next version). For now, if it annoys you too much - just disable the Window Thumbnails service.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register