Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Strange desktop switching behavior » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9218

Mark Fuss

Posted: 08/06/2009 06:58:20

I recently purchased Actual Windows Manager 5.4 but I am having some trouble with the program. I have it set up to make use of four virtual desktops. I have certain programs set to automatically load on a certain desktop. For instance, I created a rule to have Firefox load on Desktop 2. One problem I am having is when I open Firefox, it will open on the correct desktop, however, if I switch desktops while Firefox is opening any pages, I will be taken back to Desktop 2 where Firefox is residing. I typically will open Firefox and then open a series of bookmarks. While they are loading, I like to be able to switch to the desktop where my e-mail program is set to load [Desktop 4]. But, as I said, when I go to Desktop, I am immediately take back to Desktop 2. It is as if the focus remains on Firefox.

A second issue that has arisen is if I open a program on Desktop 1 that I have set to always be on another desktop, say Desktop 3, the program will always move to Desktop 3 as it should. However, when I go to Desktop 3 to perform an operation with the program, I will be taken to Desktop 1 where the program first opened. I have experienced this particular behavior with both Outlook and TheBat.

Both of these issues are quite annoying, as you might well imagine. Do you know of any fixes or are these bugs in AWM that need to be worked out?

Let me also say that, all in all, I have found AWM to be an excellent program. It has allowed me to do with one program what I was previously doing with three and in my book, that is a good thing. I just hope that the issues I have brought up can be addressed and fixed.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/06/2009 23:58:50

Dear Mark,

Couldn't you specify what is the exact version (including service pack info) and edition (32/64 bit) of your system?

And, please, send to us your AWM configuration files (via File->Send Configuration->Send to the Tech Support).  

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Mark Fuss

Posted: 08/07/2009 06:13:29

I am using the 32 bit version of the Windows 7 RC.

I have also sent the configuration file as you requested.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/10/2009 03:48:22

Thank you!

Also, please, write the exact version of your FireFox.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Mark Fuss

Posted: 08/10/2009 05:58:11

I am using Firefox 3.5.2

Ray Wollek

Posted: 08/21/2009 16:26:24

I can attest to the strange behavior. I just upgraded from 5.3 to 5.4 and have found that if I click on any icon in another of my 3 virtual desktops, it appears to cycle through ALL desktops and takes me back to my return point. The work around seems to be by going to the specific desktop you want to go to (that is by not clicking an icon in the desktop switcher) and then choosing the icon you want.

Not a terrible work around, and certainly doesn't detract from a very excellent program.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/21/2009 23:09:58

Ray, thank you for the notification.

Please specify the exact version of your Windows and the names and versions of programs which you have the described problem with.

Ray Wollek

Posted: 08/25/2009 08:58:05

Hi Alexey

I may have found a trail to the issue I have with switching. To answer your question, I'm using XP SP2 across a VPN. Many work-type programs including Outlook. I currently have two virtual desktops with 8 applications in each, but I'm just starting my day.

When I am in 'window one' and clicked on an icon in 'window two', it took me to where I wanted to go - but then it took me right back to where I started. I have even had instances where it got into a loop and just kept switching back an forth between virtual desktops. That one is very hard to stop.

I've also found that closing and reopening the virtual desktop switcher changes the way it behaves. If I'm taken back to my primary window when trying to access an app in my secondary window, I find that closing and reopening the switcher changes the behavior, and I'm now able to go where I want.

I don't think it matters what apps are running - I'm wondering if this may be instability within the switcher itself.

I hope that helps a little, and pardon me for not being very clear as to what I'm seeing. I'd ask Mark Fuss if he sees any changes in the way the VDS behaves after closing/reopening.  Does that make any difference?

Regards

Ray Wollek

Posted: 08/25/2009 15:54:21

Might have found something else with the desktop switcher.  When I have MS Outlook open, I receive popup messages indicating I have new mail. If I have Outlook in desktop "A", and I am in desktop "B" when I receive the popup message, and then I click the message (instead of going to desktop "A" to open Outlook), the switcher appears to get confused and bounces between both virtual desktops. I don't know how it stops, since I try a number of things to stop it, but when it does I need to restart AWM (if I'm lucky) or reboot (if I'm not).  At any rate, the switcher's behavior is such that I don't use it now, but I'll be glad to give you any more information if you need it.  I still think AWM is a terrific app. The switcher needs a little work maybe, though.

Mark Fuss

Posted: 09/29/2009 07:24:58

I am trying out the new beta, but these problems still exist. Is there any chance they will be fixed in the near future?

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register