Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Desktop Settings not applied at reboot. » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 17401

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 04/01/2009 10:26:31

I have setup a desktop profile for single background image over two monitors at 3360 x 1050 resolution.  The image is applied, and works just fine, until I reboot.

When I reboot, as windows is loading you can see the correct background on both desktops, but at some point, possibly when AWM gets loaded, the background disappears and is replace with the standard black 'no background applied' color I've chosen (in windows).

Any ideas?

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/01/2009 19:49:27

Matt,

It seems that the first Virtual Desktop's background replaces the background of the applied Desktop Profile.
Please try to check a "Current Windows background" option in the first Virtual Desktop settings.

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 04/02/2009 07:26:54

Hi Alexander,

That's how it was when I reported the quirk.  I also noticed that even though the right click context window of the AWM tool, under desktop profiles|Dual Desktop (the only one I have created) is still checked even though it does not appear to be applied.  If you simply click on it again, you get the windows dialog asking if you would like to keep your desktop changes and the desktop appears

I changed the settings for both of my Virtual Desktops to select the same background image that I have under the desktop profile and it seems to work once AWM is fully loaded at startup.

So the sequence with the above settings is...

1)  Boot the computer and see the correct desktop for a while.

2)  The correct desktop goes away and is replaced by the default windows desktop.

3)  Once AWM is fully loaded the correct desktop appears again once the first virtual desktop is loaded.

Not a huge deal mind you, but just thought I'd report it.

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/02/2009 19:39:50

Matt,

That's really weird.
Please check that both AWM Config and Center show version 5.3 in their About dialogs.

Also please take a look at the Desktop tab of the Display Properties window. After you set a Desktop Profile in AWM, you should see the corresponding background image in the Desktop tab, and "Composited" item should be selected. Is this so?

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 04/03/2009 08:45:58

Both dialogs show 5.3

In the desktop setup within windows is says 'Composed' not composited but yes...that is selected.

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/03/2009 09:30:04

Sorry, I've mistyped. The background name is "Composed" of course.

Could you please make some more testing?
Please disble "Load at startup" in AWM's options, and then reboot your system. Will that "Composed" backgound remain after rebooting? Which background will be shown in the Desktop tab? And what will happen to the background, if you start AWM Center manually?

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 04/03/2009 12:38:57

I disabled load at startup and after reboot in Display Properties|Desktop the background selected is called PerMonitorWallpaper0, and that is displayed in the preview window and on the desktop(s) itself.  The Composed background is not available as a selection.

When I start AWM manually the background immediately changes to the one I have assigned in the AWM settings, the background selected in the Display Properties|Desktop is Composed (the other PerMonitorWallpaper0 is no longer a selection), and in the preview it shows the correct 'composed' desktop.

I then turn load at startup back on....

If I change the virtual desktops to 'load current windows background' and reboot, it powers up to the PerMonitorWallpaper0 background and composed is not an available selection.

If I then activate the desktop profile, the correct background is shown on both virtual desktops, and the display properties has composed as the background.

It seems like that last activated desktop does not stay active through a reboot, and if you set the virtual desktops to a background, it gets loaded when AWM starts.

Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work, but just seems a little odd to me.

It also appears that desktop profiles are not inter-related with virtual desktop settings?  Meaning that virtual desktops cannot have different backgrounds based upon what desktop profile is active?

I just want to make sure I'm clear on that.

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/03/2009 20:28:01

Matt,

PerMonitorWallpaper0 background is created by Virtual Desktops feature of NVIDIA Desktop Manager (nView). Please try to disable either multiple virtual desktops in the nView properties, or turn the nView Desktop Manager off.

As for the active desktop profile, it would be more correctly to call it "last applied" profile. It is not re-activated upon every AWM start (neither at Windows startup, nor manual). The AWM's Desktop Profiles feature currently relies on the fact that Windows remembers last applied monitor resolutions, background, and screensaver. If some 3rd party utility changes any of those parameters, AWM won't restore them automatically.
Will think about implementing some kind of consistency check in the Desktop Profiles feature, so it would repair resolutions/backrgound/screensaver, if they were changed by any side application.

In Virtual Desktops and Desktop Profiles features interaction, particular virtual desktops and desktop profiles can be imagined as two layers. When a desktop profile is activated, it forms a bottom layer. When a virtual desktop is activated (an upper level), it can replace or re-use that bottom background (depending on VD's settings). This means that it's currently impossible to have different sets of VD's backgrounds for different desktop profiles.

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 04/06/2009 10:20:32

Exactly right, I had no idea that nView was even enabled.  Disabled that and all is well.  Thanks for the great support!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register