Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «System becomes slow (Vista 64-bit) , System is slow but improves very much when ATW 5.2 is disabled » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5657

Igor Freiberger

Posted: 12/22/2008 17:21:25

Computer: HP HDX9300 notebook
System: Windows Vista 64-bit SP1

I was running ATW 5.2 without any problem. The impact on system performance was almost none.

Then I did the following:

1. updated Mozilla Firefox from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5.
2. installed Synaptics TouchPad driver ver. 10.24.
3. installed HP QuickLaunch buttons ver. 6.40.

No problem in any installation. Synaptics and QuickLaunch are original drivers provided by HP.

Synaptics driver was installed just to prevent the notebook touchpad to move the mouse pointer when typing (without the driver the lock button does not work). I actually let it always locked.

After these installations the system becomes slow. Launch times increased: InDesign was 4s, now is 10s; Illustrator was 5s, now is 11s; Photoshop was 4s, now is 9s; Firefox was <1s, now is 3s. Inner Windows' resources were also delayed.

But when I disable ATW 5.2 the system returns to its original performance.

So, it seems quite obvious to be some problem between one of these installations I did and ATW 5.2. Is there any known issue about this? Could I disable part of ATW services in order to test and isolate the problem?

(I need just the resize/positioning window feature.)

Thanks in advance.

Igor Freiberger

Posted: 12/22/2008 18:03:16

Solved: the issue is related with HP QuickLaunch 6.40.

This small driver/application provides support to some fn+Fx keyboard shortcuts and also for some notebook special media keys. Anyway, most of these keys works without QuickLaunch.

I noticed that even after disabling ATW the performance was not restored to its original benchmarks (I did some time counts to be precise). With ATW running the performance degenerates a bit more, but there is some other factor.

Then I tried to disable each one of these new installed resources and QuickLaunch is the problem.

As ATW is more important to me than QuickLaunch – and actually it isn't the problem – I simply removed QL and reported this to HP.

So, the issue is solved. Anyway, this topic could be useful for other HP users with similar problems.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register