New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Windows 11 Update broke system tray icons on actual task bars , Windows 11 update disappears system tray icons for the Actual Window Manager made taskbars but not the system default taskbar » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3978

Thom H

Posted: 03/23/2023 00:37:01

Windows 11 update disappears system tray icons for the Actual Window Manager made taskbars but not the system default taskbar

Had Actual Window Manager 8.14.7 installed - hadn't changed my configuration in two years, did reboots for Windows Updates now there are no systray icons on the Actual toolbars.

I have reinstalled the latest version of Actual Windows Manager 8.14.7

I have toggled settings both in Actual config & Window's native taskbar settings.

W/o system tray icons on the Actual taskbars, Actual Window Manager is pretty much useless to me. I pretty much only use it to fix Microsoft's boneheaded taskbar UI.

AWM is an amazing tool. My workflow will be crippled & plagued by annoyances now that Microsoft has eff'd the taskbar(s) once again. Their multi-monitor taskbar UI is a garbage fire. Actual Window Manager turned the garbage fire into a sing-along campfire w/ roasted marshmallows & joy.

It could be a combination of using Explorer Patcher AND the Windows Updates but I uninstalled EP & I've rebooted after every iteration of my troubleshooting.

Should also mention I'm a senior sysadmin that cut my teeth in desktop support - I'm not a perfect troubleshooter but I was good enough to dig my way out of tech support trenches into SysAdmin/Infrastructure/DevOps, so, I've been relatively thorough - if anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction, you'd really save the day 🤓

Thom H

Posted: 03/24/2023 00:42:44

I've not had much luck restoring the systray icons to my Actual toolbars. I had a nightmare last night of a world w/o Actual tools and it was not a world any of us want to live in. Such amazing tools.

Anyway - if you haven't patched w/ this update, I think this is the update that borked my Actual Window Mgr. toolbars.
  • 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706)

Has anyone else had issues w/ this Windows 11 update?

Below are screen grabs - one of the AWM taskbar w/out systray icons, another of the AWM config, and one of the Windows Taskbar config.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/30/2023 22:13:55

Hello, Thom

Thank you for contacting us, for appreciation of our work and for the additional information about the problem.

Windows 11 update disappears system tray icons for the Actual Window Manager made taskbars but not the system default taskbar
This is a known problem. We'll try to fix it and will post here when it's fixed. Hopefully, the fix will be available in the upcoming version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.8.

Unfortunately, for now we're not aware of any workarounds for the problem, but if we know one we'll write about it here as well.

Best regards.

Thom H

Posted: 04/10/2023 02:38:13

This is a known problem. We'll try to fix it and will post here when it's fixed. Hopefully, the fix will be available in the upcoming version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.8. Unfortunately, for now we're not aware of any workarounds for the problem, but if we know one we'll write about it here as well.

If there is a beta version that is out before the release version, I'd love to test it.

-Thom

Kenji

Posted: 04/10/2023 15:11:13

I am having this same issue for months now, and I am growing tired of it to be honest, I do a lot of graphic work, but considering using another 3rd party app, if there is not a fix soon

Greg

Posted: 05/04/2023 00:28:06

I've been using an AWM version from 2020 on my Windows 7 desktop for years now, but recently decided to move to a new Windows 11 computer.
AWM and Directory Opus are absolute musts for my workflow.

After playing around for a few hours with the software I've come up with an acceptable workaround.

I went into Windows Settings --> Personalization --> Taskbar
Under "Other System Tray Icons" I turned 'Hidden icon menu' On and all the rest of the sliders off.
When I want to see those icons I press Win + B, wait for the tooltip, and press Enter.
That opens the tray so I can see and interact with it.
As far as the still missing Ethernet/Volume things, I can get to all of those settings other ways.

While it's not ideal, I think it's good enough for me to work with for now.

Jeremy K

Posted: 07/21/2023 20:14:50

I just got my first Windows 11 computer this week and decided I hate the native taskbar. I've been using AMM in Windows 10 on several PCs for many years and love it, so I remembered about the "replace system taskbar" option and was delighted when that worked on my new laptop. Everything was working great for exactly one day, then the second day I booted up, the system tray icons had disappeared. Like, completely missing.

I had been using an older version, so I decided to download and try AMM 8.15, having read that this has been a known issue for months and was being actively worked on. I was sad to find out that changing to AMM 8.15 did NOT fix the problem. As others have asked in several posts, does the Actual Tools team have an idea of when this can be fixed? The AMM taskbar is unusable without the tray icons present. I was about to buy a new license / maintenance, but will definitely not if this issue is not fixed.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Greg

Posted: 07/21/2023 20:57:03

Jeremy K wrote:
I just got my first Windows 11 computer this week and decided I hate the native taskbar. I've been using AMM in Windows 10 on several PCs for many years and love it, so I remembered about the "replace system taskbar" option and was delighted when that worked on my new laptop. Everything was working great for exactly one day, then the second day I booted up, the system tray icons had disappeared. Like, completely missing.

I had been using an older version, so I decided to download and try AMM 8.15, having read that this has been a known issue for months and was being actively worked on. I was sad to find out that changing to AMM 8.15 did NOT fix the problem. As others have asked in several posts, does the Actual Tools team have an idea of when this can be fixed? The AMM taskbar is unusable without the tray icons present. I was about to buy a new license / maintenance, but will definitely not if this issue is not fixed.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Did you see my workaround above?
Win+B and then press Enter when you see 'Show hidden icons' brings up the system tray.
Win+N brings up the notifications.

Obviously not ideal and I'd love a fix, but I'd rather use it with the workarounds than not use it at all!
I've been using it for far too long to jump ship!

The real issue is that Microsoft rebuilt the start menu completely from scratch, that's why there are still things it can't do that the old one could.
I have a feeling as they add to it, it'll become easier for developers to work with.

Jeremy K

Posted: 07/22/2023 03:05:20

Greg - yes I saw your workaround. At first it wasn't working for me for some reason. I would hit Win+B and a box would pop up saying "Show Hidden Icons", but there was nowhere to click to actually bring them up. Then playing around with the native taskbar some I figured out I could hit Win+B and then, when that pop up appeared, hit the space bar and I would see the "hidden" tray icons in a box. This also worked with the AMM taskbar active.

So yes, I'm using your workaround - thanks. But with the slight modification of hitting Win+B and then Space to get the icons to appear.

Thanks also for the tip about Win+N for notifications.

Jeremy

Jeremy K

Posted: 11/15/2023 21:19:22

Actual Tools Representative / Moderator, please provide an update on this issue. There has not been a product update since June and we would like to know whether you plan to address the system tray issue soon. Thank you.

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register