Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Alt Minimizing MDI Child Windows , Consistent behavior leads to inconsistent results. » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6685

Philip LeBlond

Posted: 11/10/2022 11:44:15

I'm trying to use Actual Window Minimizer (8.14.7), on a Windows 11 computer (64-bit).

When using a legacy Multiple Document Interface program (for example, Windows File Manager), MDI children behave exactly like other windows: they can be minimized to icon or tray, and if you wish to prevent this behavior you must manually add an exclusion. This consistent behavior can lead to a somewhat inconsistent/counterintuitive outcome: if I minimize an MDI child window, it is no longer readily apparent that my MDI parent program has a child window open at all, and the child window icon does not have any obvious connection to the MDI parent window. This behavior, while 100% consistent with what Actual Window Minimizer does at all other times, is entirely inconsistent with all existing user knowledge of how MDI applications operate, and can (and has, briefly) lead to confusion.

Thankfully, you can exclude just the children and still obtain alt-minimize behavior on the MDI parent window. If possible, it would be nice if it could auto-detect an MDI child window and if the default behavior for such windows was to exclude them. It would be even better if you could somehow make the floating icons stick within the window, but I suspect that'd be more development effort than it is worth.

Finally, I have noticed that the alt-minimize button has painting issues on MDI child windows: Every time you hover over the button, it darkens further until it is a solid black square.

Linked here is an image demonstrating the issues thus far identified.
User added an image

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/26/2023 12:07:55

Hello, Philip

I apologize for the delay in replying to you.

MDI children behave exactly like other windows: they can be minimized to icon or tray, and if you wish to prevent this behavior you must manually add an exclusion.
Did you mean the case when you click the AltMin button inadvertently and then lose the window? I would guess that if one wants MDI windows to be minimized in their usual manner then he can use the standard minimize button and not the AltMin button. Or maybe you use the "minimization mode > Tray" option for the standard Minimize button for all applications (in Default settings)?

Finally, I have noticed that the alt-minimize button has painting issues on MDI child windows: Every time you hover over the button, it darkens further until it is a solid black square.
This problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it and will post here when it's fixed. For now if you want to use the extra title buttons in MDI windows and avoid this problem you can create specific settings for MDI windows of a particular application and enable the option "Office 2007 style" in the settings as workaround (Specific Settings for MDI windows > Title Buttons > Office 2007 style).

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register