New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «"Other" configuration backup/restore » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 33994

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 08/01/2022 20:28:42

I'm using the latest Actual Window Manager, v18.4.7.
Windows 10 64, 22H1, all updates installed.

I have 6 monitors.  3 on my video card and 3 on my J5create USB-C Quad HDMI adapter.  They come up in a particular order when cold booting and another when warm rebooting.  I have saved the configuration for each to load for the usual settings.  I'd like to know how to backup/restore the icon settings and the pinned taskbar icons.  Restoring the previous config doesn't seem to include those 2 items.

If someone can point me to where each of those is located I can backup the files and restore myself, but it would also be nice to have those included in the standard configuration backup.

Thanks,
Chris

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/09/2022 06:24:18

Hello, Chris

Thank you for contacting us.

I have saved the configuration for each to load for the usual settings.  I'd like to know how to backup/restore the icon settings and the pinned taskbar icons.  Restoring the previous config doesn't seem to include those 2 items.
Did you save the configurations using the Backup tool from the AWM configuration module? The backup files should include taskbar pinned icons. What exactly you get after you restore the configuration? Are the pinned icons not in the AWM taskbars at all or they're on the wrong taskbars?

As for desktop icons - you need to save desktop icons order via the respective desktop context menu item before saving configuration. Then you'll be able to restore this order via desktop context menu after you load this configuration.

Could you send us your AWM configuration you saved for the second monitors order (after warm rebooting) and also send us AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool after such warm rebooting before loading the previoulsy saved configuraton (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)? Send them to support@actualtools.com and please add a link to this topic in the email.

Best regards.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 08/09/2022 20:07:17

So it seems the pinned icons are saving correctly.  I have several configuration files and must have saved to wrong file.

As for the dekstop icons.  Any way to get those saved as part of the overall configuration as well?  I'd like to save configuration with different icon layouts instead of just getting stuck to the last one saved to restore.

Thanks!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/11/2022 05:51:40

Chris,

I'd like to save configuration with different icon layouts instead of just getting stuck to the last one saved to restore.
Do you mean you want the desktop icons order to be restored automatically as you load the configuration and you don't want to manually restore the order saved for particular monitor layout in respective configuration each time?

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 08/11/2022 19:52:06

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Chris,

I'd like to save configuration with different icon layouts instead of just getting stuck to the last one saved to restore.
Do you mean you want the desktop icons order to be restored automatically as you load the configuration and you don't want to manually restore the order saved for particular monitor layout in respective configuration each time?

Absolutely 1000000%

There are many times depending on the config I have/need icons in a certain order or location and I need those to restore per config.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 08/28/2022 09:24:33

I'd also like to see Taskbar configuration, taskbar icons, and the desktop saved icons added to the Desktop Profiles configuration so that those settings can be easily changed through the right-click menu to quickly choose.

It would honestly be better to just force a minimum of 1 desktop profile and host all settings for Multiple Monitors from there.  Or put an option in the right-click system icon menu to load pinned configuration backups to load quickly.

Thanks!
Chris

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/01/2022 03:52:37

Chris,

We'll consider your requests and will post here if they're implemented.

Just to make sure: you understand that you can have different desktop icons orders saved for particular resolutions in different configuration backup files, right?

Have you considered the way of loading the configurations using batch files (.cmd), which I described in this topic?

There is a way to make it even more automatic so that the desktop icons order is restored too. But there are some limitations to this solution. Let me know if you would like to use batch files to switch the configurations.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 09/01/2022 03:55:25

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Chris,

We'll consider your requests and will post here if they're implemented.

Just to make sure: you understand that you can have different desktop icons orders saved for particular resolutions in different configuration backup files, right?

Have you considered the way of loading the configurations using batch files (.cmd), which I described in this topic?

There is a way to make it even more automatic so that the desktop icons order is restored too. But there are some limitations to this solution. Let me know if you would like to use batch files to switch the configurations.

Yes, I'm aware of saving different desktop icon orders, but I'm always using the same desktop size/resolution in any of my cases.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/08/2022 02:31:11

Chris,

But you can have one desktop icons order saved in one configuration backup file and other desktop icons order saved in other configuration. Then you can load the particular configuration and restore the icons order saved in that configuration, that's what I'm trying to say.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 09/08/2022 03:06:19

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Chris,

But you can have one desktop icons order saved in one configuration backup file and other desktop icons order saved in other configuration. Then you can load the particular configuration and restore the icons order saved in that configuration, that's what I'm trying to say.

I can confirm that this is absolutely NOT the case for me.

I saved my current icons, re-saved the config.  Moved an icon, saved icons, re-saved to alternate config.  Loading each config does not change the icon order.  It sticks with the last saved icon order.

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register