Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Problem with AWM hooking into Windows 11 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5717

canopee

Posted: 06/03/2022 00:43:27

Actual Window Manager 8.14.6.1
Windows 11 Enterprise, Version 21H2 (OS Build 22000.675)

Hey there, after switching from Windows 7 to 11 I noticed that many of the AWM functions don't work anymore, at least not properly.
What I mean is that several attempts are needed to run basically anything. If and when it works is totally random.

Examples:
- Entire window rules are not applied when disabling/enabling the rule. Sometimes I have to do it 5 times until it "registers" and works.
- Any windows setting you could imagine works randomly once in a while. Window size, position, transparency, everything.
- Any configured mouse click, for example left-lick on close/X to minimize to tray, works 1 out of 5 times randomly. Or middle-click on title bar to keep the window on-top. Once out of 5 times as you guessed.  :)
- Context menu "Open configuration" or "Re-apply settings" works 1 out of 5 times.

So yeah, it's not consistent anymore. If I open a window with rules, it might apply them, or I need to click on "Re-apply settings" several times for them to apply.

I'm assuming that AWM has a problem hooking into explorer.exe and Windows 11 in general. Kinda weird that it works sometimes at least. Maybe the AWM-way of hooking into the system battles with the Windows 11 way for priority. Seems that Windows 11 gets higher priority most of the times, and AWM only sometimes. Yeah I know that's not really a technical description, but that's how it looks to me.

Another thing is the window snapping. There is an option in "Classic" that allows to snap to windows from the inside. This option needs to be disabled on Windows 11 or it breaks the snapping entirely, giving strange results.

Thanks for your help and a fantastic program!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/08/2022 13:13:29

Hello, canopee

Thank you for contacting us.

Do all these "consistency" problems happen with some particular applications or they happen with all applications? Could you specify several most usual applications you've notcied these problems with?

Could you send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)? Add a link to this topic in the email.

How exactly you switched from Windows 7 to Windows 11? Was it an update or a clean installation of Windows 11?

There is an option in "Classic" that allows to snap to windows from the inside. This option needs to be disabled on Windows 11 or it breaks the snapping entirely, giving strange results.
Could you describe these "strange results" more detailed?

Best regards.

canopee

Posted: 06/17/2022 07:10:13

Hello, thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response!

Please disregard the first config files that I sent. Oh and I forgot to attach the link to this topic in the email, sorry.  :oops:

Do all these "consistency" problems happen with some particular applications or they happen with all applications?
It happens with all programs, except those disabled of course. I will list some:
  • explorer.exe
  • run, open, browse, save, select, choose [#32770]
  • Sound/Add & remove programs
  • regedit.exe/gpedit.msc/mmc
  • dopus.exe [Directory Opus]
  • notepad/notepad++/Sublime
  • VLC/MPC/foobar2000
  • and every other application with or without a rule that is not disabled
Some disabled programs are Discord and Chrome (it never worked for those which is fine, so I disabled them, they have a custom frame), and Windows 11 settings, apps, and Notification Center/Start Menu etc.

I've just made another test with the Run dialog and simply clicking on the title bar with the middle mouse button, which should toggle On-top. It's still totally random. Sometimes it works for the first or second try, and sometimes it takes almost 10 tries until it toggles again. I could make a video how that looks.

How exactly you switched from Windows 7 to Windows 11? Was it an update or a clean installation of Windows 11?
It was a fresh install without restoring apps or files.

Could you describe these "strange results" more detailed?

User added an image

It looks like this. The window gets dragged beyond the border for about 50px.

I wanted to say that I'm using 7+ Taskbar Tweaker (https://ramensoftware.com/7-taskbar-tweaker-on-windows-11-with-windows-10s-taskbar) and ExplorerPatcher (https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher#readme).

The results with AWM and all window actions increased when I disabled 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. It was still not perfect but at least somewhat better.

Disabling ExplorerPatcher or both programs together didn't increase the results further. So it looks as if 7+ Taskbar Tweaker and AWM are not fully compatible, while ExplorerPatcher doesn't cause any problems.
Yes I know those are unsupported ways of modifying explorer.exe and the taskbar, but I'm pretty sure that many have this combination of AWM & EP & 7+T. It's up to you to decide if it makes sense to investigate this further. I mean I still have problems even with those two programs uninstalled.

Thanks very much for all your help so far.

Greetings,
canopee

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register