Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[CONFIRMED] Desktop divider not working correctly with Outlook , On my vertical monitor specifically » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6146

Tony Davidson

Posted: 03/29/2022 06:01:56

I've logged this several times with the support e-mail (support@actualtools.com) but no reply. Is that still how to contact support?

I am having issues with the desktop divider in the latest version I have installed (8.14.6.1 which update now says is the latest).

The desktop divider always works correctly for my 2 landscape monitors but most of the time works incorrectly on my portrait monitor.  Layout:

User added an image

Yet when I drag a window to the left most middle section it doesn’t work correctly. E.g.

User added an image

The window (this e-mail) should resize to about the same size as it is now but fill all the edges as per the tile template.  Instead this is what happens if I do the resize:

User added an image

It’s like its resizing to a much bigger tile than defined.

Note that this feature worked perfectly and always worked on the initial version I installed (8.14.3.0) but no other version since. Initially I just didn’t update but since going to Windows 11 it was necessary to upgrade. Which has broken this feature (which is actually why I bought the software although I do like some other things too).

It does *sometimes* work – but I can’t work out a pattern yet. Although hasn't worked for ages with Outlook.

Note Outlook does resize correctly on my other 2 monitors, and other apps resize correctly on the vertical monitor.

I'm running the latest version of Actual Window Manager (checked again this morning), windows 11

Tony Davidson

Posted: 03/29/2022 06:02:45

Image 1 - that doesn't seem to add above.

Tony Davidson

Posted: 03/29/2022 06:03:05

Image 2

Tony Davidson

Posted: 03/29/2022 06:03:21

Image 3

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/02/2022 19:39:21

Hello, Tony

I've logged this several times with the support e-mail (support@actualtools.com) but no reply. Is that still how to contact support?
Sorry for the delay in replying to you. Yes, you can contact us via support@actualtools.com. There should be no such delays now.

The window (this e-mail) should resize to about the same size as it is now but fill all the edges as per the tile template.  Instead this is what happens if I do the resize:
I was unable to reproduce the problem with Outlook and Desktop Divider.

Does the problem happen both with Outlook message windows and the main window?

Does the problem happen exclusively with Outlook windows? Does it happen with other MS Office applications or other applications?

Does the same problem happen if you put an Outlook window to the same Desktop Divider tile not by dragging it manually but via the Put into Divider tile dialogue? The dialogue is available via left mouse button click to the "Put into..." title button, via extra menu item or via hotkey (the default combination is Win+Ctrl+5).

What monitor is the main monitor in your layout?

Is the portrait monitor in the standard portrait mode or in the flipped portrait mode?

What are the values of the Scale option in the standard Windows display settings for each of the displays (the percentage values, 100%, 125% etc.)?

What exactly version of Outlook you're running (File > Office account > About Outlook)?

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

Tony Davidson

Posted: 04/04/2022 06:16:15

Does the problem happen both with Outlook message windows and the main window?

Yes

Does the problem happen exclusively with Outlook windows? Does it happen with other MS Office applications or other applications?

Just tested with Word and Excel and they both work correctly

Does the same problem happen if you put an Outlook window to the same Desktop Divider tile not by dragging it manually but via the Put into Divider tile dialogue? The dialogue is available via left mouse button click to the "Put into..." title button, via extra menu item or via hotkey (the default combination is Win+Ctrl+5).

Yes, same behaviour

What monitor is the main monitor in your layout?

The middle one which is a 27" 2560x1440

Is the portrait monitor in the standard portrait mode or in the flipped portrait mode?

Standard portrait mode

I have also notice that monitor 3 (the right side one) also doesn't work. I only realised this doing the "put to" test and found it has the same issue as monitor 1. The red lines are wrong. I've attached a screenshot.

What are the values of the Scale option in the standard Windows display settings for each of the displays (the percentage values, 100%, 125% etc.)?

Monitor 1 - portrait 100%
Monitor 2 - landscape 125%
Monitor 3 - landscape 100%

What exactly version of Outlook you're running (File > Office account > About Outlook)?

Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2202 Build 16.0.14931.20128) 64-bit

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Windows 11 Version 21H2 OS Build 22000.556

Many thanks

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/06/2022 11:54:40

Tony,

The problem has been confirmed. The incorrect size of Desktop Divider layout for Outlook on secondary monitors is associated with the increased Scale option value on any of the monitors (if Scale option value is increased on a secondary monitor instead the layout gets smaller). We'll try to fix the problem and will post here when it's fixed.

Also, please note that the problem only happens if you start Outlook after Actual Window Manager. If you start Outlook and then Actual Window Manager the layouts will have correct size. Another way to temporarily stop the problem is to change the desktop configuration even a little, For example if you slightly move one of the monitors in the display settings. Changing the height of a taskbar also should work.

Tony Davidson

Posted: 04/13/2022 07:13:43

Thanks for confirming this. Microsoft could take a page out of your book!

It didn't help when I loaded AWM after Outlook but doing the tiny change fixed it - I'm assuming until next reboot.

Pons Bautista

Posted: 04/10/2024 05:37:30

Has this issue about tiles ever been resolved?  The workaround still works: "Also, please note that the problem only happens if you start Outlook after Actual Window Manager. If you start Outlook and then Actual Window Manager the layouts will have correct size. Another way to temporarily stop the problem is to change the desktop configuration even a little, For example if you slightly move one of the monitors in the display settings. Changing the height of a taskbar also should work."

But this is already 2024 and we are on v8.15 but the issue persists with my secondary vertical monitor when I launch Outlook after Actual Windows Manager is already running.  The tile divisions get out of whack until I resize/restore the taskbar size. Only then will the divider tile be actually where they are supposed to be and I can move Outlook to occupy the defined tile.  Lot's of manual work that defeats the purpose of Actual Windows Manager. It is easier/faster to resize my Outlook window manually.

Tony Davidson

Posted: 04/10/2024 05:41:16

Unfortunately it wasn't fixed and I ended up giving up and moving onto Powertools. Which is free and has the desktop divider.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register