Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] AWM causes Microsoft Excel 365 to crash , Windows opened within Excel 365 hang when AWM running » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 10126

James Bond

Posted: 01/06/2022 21:11:43

Excel 365 runs OK with AWM 8.14.6 until Excel 365 windows are opened (e.g. conditional formatting and chart data series).  At that point, only the window frames are visible and are 'stuck'.  The only workaround is to close Excel 365, close AWM and reopen Excel 365 without AWM.  I have tried excepting window types and excluding Excel 365 but doing either makes no difference.  I use Excel 365 very heavily and cannot use AWM with this issue.

Justin Samsel

Posted: 01/13/2022 05:45:34

I'm not having the issue you're describing. I have AWM 8.14.6.1 and Excel Version 2112 (Build 14729.20194 Click-to-Run).

If you haven't already, try doing an Office repair.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/18/2022 04:22:45

Hello, everyone

James,

I think this is a particular case of a known problem with Excel.

Could you clarify at what exactly moment the conditional formatting window freezes? Do you mean it freezes for example if you open the conditional formatting window and then select "New rule..." and close the "New rule..." window?

Please try to create the exclusion with the following parameters:
Class: NUIDialog
Program: Excel.exe

Also please make sure there are no enabled specific settings for Excel in the list of the settings (AWM configuration module > Window Settings > Specific Settings). If there are both specific settings and exclusion that can be applied to a window then the specific settings will be applied in this case and the exclusion won't work.

Best regards.

James Bond

Posted: 01/28/2022 06:33:10

Hi Bogdan, thank you for your reply.

I reinstalled the program and followed your instructions and unfortunately your suggestion doesn't work.  For your info, I didn't have any specific settings for Excel (only Outlook, but no problems with Outlook).

It didn't freeze when I opened the Conditional Formatting/Chart Data Series windows - it was when I entered new data in those boxes and before I could save it, for both situations, all I could see was the frame of the window - the 'inside' of the frame went blank.  As I mentioned, there was nothing I could do, other than close Excel, then close AWM, then re-open Excel, open Conditional Formatting or Chart Data Series, make the amendments, save and then re-open AWM.

It seems to be OK when there are no formulas or code in the relevant cell and I initially thought your solution worked.  But then I tried CF/CDS amendment on formula and a VBA-related cell and got the same problem.

Many thanks for your response anyway.

Billy Beavers

Posted: 01/29/2022 00:31:48

James Bond wrote:
Excel 365 runs OK with AWM 8.14.6 until Excel 365 windows are opened (e.g. conditional formatting and chart data series).  At that point, only the window frames are visible and are 'stuck'.  The only workaround is to close Excel 365, close AWM and reopen Excel 365 without AWM.  I have tried excepting window types and excluding Excel 365 but doing either makes no difference.  I use Excel 365 very heavily and cannot use AWM with this issue.

I have a similar issue.  Has there been any resolution?  

Since the update to 8.14.6.1, excel crashed when you do the following:  
Open a new sheet.  
Type any numeric values in row 1 cells A-F
Ins ert a line chart
slect the chart
Sel ect the "Select Data" icon fr om the design tab
update or change the data in the series name or values fields.
Sele ct OK.

It will crash every time unless AMM is disabled.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/04/2022 23:16:16

James,

Could you send us your Actual Window Manager configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)? Add a link to this topic in the email.

Could you also provide a step-by-step description of how to reproduce the problem for the case of the Conditional Formatting window? What exactly windows you open and what elements you use to open the windows and enter data?

Billy,

I was able to confirm the problem with this Excel window too - it's apparently the same problem.

Please try to create the exclusion with the following parameters:
Class: NUIDialog
Program: Excel.exe

Also please make sure there are no enabled specific settings for Excel in the list of the settings (AMM configuration module > Window Settings > Specific Settings). If there are both specific settings and exclusion that can be applied to a window then the specific settings will be applied in this case and the exclusion won't work.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/26/2022 07:05:35

Hello, everyone

I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue where Excel froze when its particular windows were open has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version 8.14.7 of Actual Window Manager, Actual Multiple Monitors and our other products as well.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually, install it and confirm the fix.

If you used the suggested workaround (exclusion for particular type of Excel windows) you can discard it in the latest version.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register