Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Multi-monitor taskbar - how does it handle Start menu » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 4506

Tech Lobo

Posted: 12/10/2021 15:29:44

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to Actual Multi-monitors so excuse my current lack of knowledge.

I've only just started to implement a multi-monitor setup (currently 2x monitors, although may be 3x soon), and am investigating which is the best 'monitor manager' to use. I am trialling Actual Multiple Monitors, DisplayFusion and basic Windows 10 multi-monitor support (not really a monitor manager, but still needs to be checked out).

I use Windows 10 Pro, with Winstep to control my desktop shortcuts and navigation experience.

As part of that I use a small utility called openstartmenu fr om Chris'n'Soft to open the Start menu at the location of a shortcut in a Workshelf or Dock (which can be on either monitor). This works fine with DisplayFusion and standard Windows 10 multi-monitor operation (i.e. no monitor manager running), but not with Actual Multiple Monitors multi-monitor taskbar - which insists on opening the start menu in the lower left corner of the monitor where the start button is displayed.

This has been confirmed by creating a desktop shortcut for the utility (using the command line option '/mouse') and all other utilities (e.g. Winstep) disabled. Results were as follows when double clicking the shortcut:
  • Desktop icon on primary monitor, 'Replace the system taskbar' unchecked - start menu opens at shortcuts location.
  • Desktop icon on primary monitor, 'Replace the system taskbar' checked - start menu opens at normal lower left corner of primary monitor.
  • Desktop icon on secondary monitor, 'Multi-monitor taskbar' enabled - start menu opens at normal lower left corner of secondary monitor.
  • Desktop icon on secondary monitor, 'Multi-monitor taskbar' disabled - start menu opens at shortcuts location.
I can't seem to find any settings to change this behaviour.

Am I missing something or is this start menu operation hard-coded into the taskbar functionality?

Thank you for your time.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/22/2021 05:34:24

Hello, Tech Lobo

Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Probably, moving the Start menu via this application is not supported by our products. But I was unable to make the /mouse command work at all in Windows 10. Do I understand correctly that it should move the Start menu to any point on the desktop where the mouse pointer resides when I use a desktop shortcut with this command? I was able to use other commands but this one just doesn't do anything.

Is there any special trick I need to do in order to make it work?

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

Tech Lobo

Posted: 12/22/2021 14:24:46

It works fine for me on Windows 10 Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1415), without any special tricks other than specifying the command line parameter in the target line of the properties.

I took a few screenshots of it working on my system with all my normal utilities disabled i.e. just using Windows 10 multi-desktop support.

User added an imageUser added an imageUser added an imageUser added an image

Tried with Actual Multiple monitors again (30 minute trial, as my original trial has expired) and behaviour as previously - works OK on primary monitor provided 'Replace the system taskbar' is unchecked, and doesn't work on secondary monitor if 'Multi-monitor taskbar' is enabled.

When you say
I was able to use other commands but this one just doesn't do anything.
do you mean that other command line parameters such as '/screen' worked for you?

Tech Lobo

Posted: 12/22/2021 14:27:47

Sorry just realised that I was still running Startisback++ - not sure if that will make a difference, but will try without.

Tech Lobo

Posted: 12/22/2021 14:50:45

OK - I just re-ran the above with Startisback++ disabled also, and Openstartmenu with the /mouse command line parameter did not work as expected. The basic windows start menu just kept appearing in the normal left hand corner of the primary screen.

Apologies for that I obviously did not do a full test. Also I've just realised that I did not provide a complete list of the utilities I use in the original post (as I did not mention Startisback++).

However this does not change the fact that the interaction with AMM does not allow me to use Openstartmenu to open the Startisback++ menu wherever required on the monitors.

Apologies again for the incomplete information.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/15/2022 01:17:18

Hello, Tech Lobo

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

However this does not change the fact that the interaction with AMM does not allow me to use Openstartmenu to open the Startisback++ menu wherever required on the monitors.
The problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it and will post here if it's fixed. It seems that support of StartIsBack++ start menu by our products taskbars prevents the Openstartmenu utility from working correctly with this start menu.

do you mean that other command line parameters such as '/screen' worked for you?
As I recall I tried something like "show this help" command (/?) just to make sure the commands work in general.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register