Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Can't figure out how to do this... , Ignoring the Vuze splash screen » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 12242

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 09/22/2008 16:16:37

This isn't an important issue, but if it can be solved, I'll learn a bit about how to use AWM.  It will also solve a problem that's been annoying me for a very long time. :)

I use AWM to customize the Vuze window.  The class name is SWT_Window0, the process name is Azureus.exe, and the title is Vuze.  This works fine on the main window.

Unfortunately, the Vuze splash screen has all the same information, as shown in the screen shot.  My problem--and I know, it's relatively minor--is that the Vuze splash screen gets resized, which I don't want.

Is there any possible way to have AWM ignore the splash screen, yet still work on the main window?

User added an image

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/23/2008 05:18:40

Dear Scott,

Unfortunately, our software can't find difference between the windows. Because all distinctive parameters (title, class and program) are identical.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/23/2008 08:48:51

Hello Scott,

The described issue may be fixed if we forbid AWM to resize windows without sizable border. Current implementation allows changing size of any window but it seems that in most cases there's no practical benefit when resizing a window with fixed border (e.g. dialogs, message boxes, tool windows, etc.) without resizing its contents accordingly.

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 09/23/2008 16:32:29

Thank you for the replies.

I hope a future release of AWM makes it possible to exclude non-resizable windows.  Hopefully this will be a per-rule option (i.e. an option titled "Apply this rule to non-resizable windows"), since sometimes it is helpful to resize "non-resizable" windows.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/23/2008 23:04:40

OK, we thinks exactly the same way as you said. Just a question: could you provide us some examples when resizing "non-resizable" windows is really useful? We haven't succeeded to imagine them ourselves. :)

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 09/24/2008 07:38:00

OK, one example is the WinRAR extraction dialog.  It's not resizable and is quite small.  (The newest WinRAR beta does correct this, but it's still just a beta.)

I resize Thunderbird's non-resizable "Account Settings" window with AWM.  This lets me see all my accounts on the left side, and all the options on the right.  This works perfectly.  Having a small window and having to scroll is an unnecessary inconvenience.

I have used AWM to resize the non-resizable "options" windows of some Firefox extensions.

Open the non-resizable options window of Firefox 3 and look at the Applications tab.  On my system, many of the "Content Type" and "Action" contents are cut off, making it hard to use this dialog.  When I resize this window it becomes much easier to use.  Consider which of these is easier to use:

User added an image

User added an image

Not all non-resizable windows respond well to forcible resizing, but many do, and it can be a big help.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/29/2008 01:11:06

Scott,

This may disappoint you but I have to say that, after some deeper analysis, we decided to postpone the implementation of the discussed "Force resizing" option and leave the Resize action as it is.

We'd like to get more examples of when the restriction of resizing non-resizable windows might be helpful to prove the addition of related option. Hope you will understand me right. Thank you!

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 09/29/2008 16:18:10

OK, thank you for the consideration.  I currently use AltMove to resize non-resizable windows, and it works well.  I use it to resize non-resizable windows very frequently.  I guess when you use 120 DPI and also hate the idiotic way so many developers force tiny windows on you, you have a greater need for this.

I just thought it would be nice to get rid of AltMove.  (Although its window manipulation in general is handy and AWM doesn't offer those features either.)

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register