Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[HELP] Windows 11 and taskbar change , Need help getting back a taskbar that managed 2 windows... » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2762

weiz

Posted: 08/17/2021 22:38:17

Hello there!

I know there is no official support for Windows 11, however it seems like just about everything works... but Windows changed something that messed up my configuration, unless I make changes I rather not change.

My Windows 10 Setup:

🖥️ Monitor #2, non-primary (left side):
- This is where I had moved the main taskbar in Windows 10, as you were able to move that taskbar to any monitor freely.
 - Doing this with the mixed-mode taskbar option allowed it to display all windows on Monitor #2, and #1 (Center/Primary)

🖥️ Monitor #1, primary (center):
- No taskbar as it's often used for full screening games and applications.

🖥️ Monitor #3, non-primary (right)
- Included taskbar that only displayed windows on that screen.

The goal was I did not want a taskbar on the primary display, as it is often using applications or games that are full-screened, and instead be able to interact with those windows via the left monitor where the taskbar was up against the right side. This worked just fine, and honestly one of the biggest reasons I got AMW.

Windows 11 Situation (Currently):
- The taskbar is now locked to the primary monitor, which was previously used by AMW on Monitor #2 to control windows on #1 and #2. Oddly, the only way I was able to achieve this with AMW was to use the windows taskbar. The AMW taskbars did not seem to be able to create the same results on their own, even in Windows 10, which I why I used the Windows taskbar, but under control of AMW.

Fr om the manual, it says:
Mixed radio button - sel ect this option to make the primary taskbar display all open windows and each secondary taskbar will display only windows residing on its host monitor.

In my case in Windows 10, this did not seem to be the case. Having the primary windows taskbar on a secondary display prior to loading AWM and setting it to mixed mode allowed it to only display windows fr om monitors #1 and #2; #3 only showed the windows for that screen.

This may be considered a bug, as the taskbar in mixed mode was not showing all open windows, just ones on #1 and #2, but I was using it as a feature... and tbh it was very nice to have. Perhaps this was due to the Primary taskbar being on a secondary monitor?

Does anyone have any work arounds for this, or perhaps more advanced settings I'm currently unaware of?
Basically, I want to get back to how things were in W10 wh ere I had 2 taskbars; 1 for 2 screens and 1 for 1, none of which are on the primary display.
If you have any suggestions or things to try out, please let me know.

📌 As for the developer; you may want to look into mixed mode while using the primary windows taskbar on a secondary monitor (and maybe while having 3 monitors, if that was the reason).
Ideally it would be nice to select what monitors what taskbar is tracking the windows of on a bar-by-bar basis (feature request). At the moment you can't even make one individual and another one mixed, they all have to be the same, which really restricts the potential of those features.

Hope someone has a solution out there... and if I come across one, I'll be sure to post it up here in case someone is trying to do the same (I'd imagine there are more than a few who would desire this setup)

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions :)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/20/2021 23:27:03

Hello, weiz

Thank you for contacting us.

I know there is no official support for Windows 11, however it seems like just about everything works..
You're right - we haven't managed to begin working directly on support for Windows 11 yet. Most of our software's features work correctly in Windows 11, although there are some known problems already. We'll start fixing these problems soon.

Do Actual Window Manager taskbars also work in Windows 11 for you?

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Having the primary windows taskbar on a secondary display prior to loading AWM and setting it to mixed mode allowed it to only display windows fr om monitors #1 and #2; #3 only showed the windows for that screen.

This may be considered a bug
Yes, this looks like a bug. Although, I was unable to reproduce it even with three monitors. As I can see, even in this configuration the taskbars work exactly as it's described in the quote from the manual you've provided.

Do I understand correctly that you no longer have the installation of Windows 10 where this behavior persisted?

What was the monitors layout in Windows 10? Did any monitors have non-standard orientation? You can send a screenshot from the display settings in Windows 11 if the layout is the same.

What were the values of "Change the size of text..." option for each monitor in Windows 10 (the percantage value beginning from 100%)?

What applications you've noticed this behavior with (the apps that were presented in the taskbar on monitor 3 and not presented in the Windows taskbar on monitor 2)?

Ideally it would be nice to select what monitors what taskbar is tracking the windows of on a bar-by-bar basis (feature request). At the moment you can't even make one individual and another one mixed, they all have to be the same, which really restricts the potential of those features.
We'll consider your request and will post here if such ability is implemented.

Best regards.

weiz

Posted: 10/10/2021 05:51:23

I apologize for the delay but will certainly get back to you a more detailed post soon; things on my end were a bit nuts and then completely forgot about checking for a reply on here; I'll setup notifications perhaps since I'm not sure if I got anything.

Will try to get you the details tomorrow, thanks for your response!

-Best

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register