Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Full screen videos not confined to set tile , Videos expand to entire monitor when full screen » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5317

JTFX

Posted: 04/07/2021 08:08:55

I have been evaluating Actual Multiple Monitors 8.14.5 as a possible replacement to Virtual Display Manager since it has some different features that I would definitely use.

The problem I am having is when I have an program running in a tile and maximize it, the application does as expected and fills the tile as though it's in an actual monitor. However when I use any video application (Netflix, YouTube, Plex, VLC, security camera monitor, etc.) the main app stays within the tile fully maximized but when I go to full screen with the video it covers the entire monitor and all other tiles defeating the purpose I am aiming for. With VDM I can put any app into a virtual display grid (tile as AMM calls them) and if I go to full screen with the video it respects the confinement of that tile. I have searched the forums and went through all the help sections and it seems like it should work but it's not in my case. I sent a message to Actual Tools support but the only response I received was an auto reply stating they received my message!

I am running Win 10 Pro (19042), i7-980X EE, 32GB memory, RTX 2080 and 3 32" 1440 monitors. With VDM I have been using the center monitor (split 60/40 vertically) primarily for coding and app testing. The 2nd monitor is used mainly for SSH/FTP terminals, server tools and a web browser (split vertically 50/50 with one half also split 50/50 horizontally). The 3rd monitor is setup 50/50 horizontally with the bottom half split vertically 50/50 and is used for two video apps One tile cycles the security cameras and the other usually has YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ or Plex each running full screen. I have become accustomed to this configuration and it's been great having the security system and some entertainment videos playing at the same time - full screen - without the browser or app borders. The top half of that monitor usually has Outlook, File Explorer and other apps that I switch back and forth between.

Am I missing something with Actual Multiple Monitors or does full screen/maximize to tile just not work for video? I really like that I can quickly resize a group of tiles by dragging from the edges, and how easy it is to move an app from tile to tile/monitor to monitor. I'm hopefully I'm just overlooking something!

Thanks for reading this way to long post!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/15/2021 15:03:33

Hello, JTFX

Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the delay in replying.

when I have an program running in a tile and maximize it, the application does as expected and fills the tile as though it's in an actual monitor.
Do you mean you use the "Maximize to Desktop Divider's tile" mouse action?

A Desktop Divider's tile doesn't restrict a window's placement when you put a window into the tile. Also, usually it's impossible to correctly put full-screen windows into a tile or resize them, as they're somewhat special windows. You can try the Restrict placement feature – it should let you restrict placement of a window to the specified area even in the full-screen mode. Together with the Desktop Divider feature it's available only in our main product - Actual Window Manager.

We'll consider implementing the ability to automatically restrict placement of a window in a Desktop Divider tile and will post here if it's implemented.

Best regards.

JTFX

Posted: 04/21/2021 06:10:19

Hey Bogdan,

Yes, I was hoping that when a program such as Zoom/Teams, Plesk or a browser is opened and maximized to the Desktop Divider's tile it would remain captured within the tile when going fullscreen with the video. I have tried with the "Maximize to Divider's tile" which works perfectly to put the program in fullscreen within the tile, but if it has a video player (browser with YouTube, Plex, etc.) and I click the Maximize Video icon on the video player, it ignores the tile and covers the entire monitor. Once I minimize the video it goes back into the default application which is still contained within the tile.

With Virtual Display Manager it doesn't matter what application I put in the grid/tile - if I choose to go fullscreen with a video it stays within the grid as though it's on its own monitor. I was looking for a replacement for that due to some issues I was having with it but they recently released an update that took care of those and more so for now I will stick with VDM as it does exactly what I was looking to do... have four (or more) videos playing fullscreen and borderless simultaneously on one monitor.

Thanks for the reply and feedback. I will definitely keep watching ActualTools to see if they can get it figured it out as they offer some really great features.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register