New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[AWM] Invisible systray icons & windows switching desktops after sleep a/o screen unlock » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 25761

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 03/01/2021 20:14:19

Using AWM 8.14.5 on W10 version 2004 build 19041.746. Sometimes, when I wake my PC from sleep a/o and unlock it (it auto locks in 15 mins as per the company policy), some of the systray icons are not visible. They're there, you can click them and their corresponding menus open, but the icon is not displayed as you can see in the attached image. Furthermore, sometimes, windows which were on my secondary monitor, get moved to the primary.

If I pause/resume or relaunch AWM, the icons reappear as expected.

Unfortunately, this behaviour is very random and does not always reproduce, which understandably makes things more difficult to debug and understand.

BR

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 03/03/2021 01:11:27

Corneliu,

Thank you for the feedback.

Please could you try to revert to 8.14.4 for a while and see if it removes the problem?

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 03/04/2021 15:33:10

Hi Alex,

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I've had this issue since long ago. I only reported it now because it's been reproducing more and more rarely with the newest versions, but apparently it's still there somehow.

Kind regards

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/10/2021 15:45:23

Hello, Corneliu.

Do you recall when this problem started?

What monitors you use and what interfaces you use to connect them to the computer (HDMI, DVI etc.)? Is it a desktop computer, not a laptop?

Does this problem happen only in the Actual Window Manager taskbar, or in the system taskbar as well?

Does it happen always with the same particular applications' icons or the set of the "problem" icons may vary?

Best regards.

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 03/10/2021 16:50:00

Hi,

- This has been happening since years ago, I can't really recall the version
- Over the years I've been using VGA, HDMI & DP
- Monitors also vary, I mostly use 2 full HD monitors side by side
- The issue happens both on my work laptop as well as on my home PC
- Usually all the icons are invisible, and sometimes 1 or 2 remain visible, there is no specific app or pattern
- The issue happens only with AWM. If I pause/stop AWM I am able to see the icons as expected in the system taskbar systray, and if I restart AWM afterwards all the icons reappear on the AWM systray.

Kind regards

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 03/11/2021 18:46:47

Minor update - not sure this is related, but AWM seems to be using roughly 3% of the CPU without me doing anything (sitting idle), and it also triggers a 3-4% CPU usage with Windows Explorer. When I exit AWM Explorer CPU usage drops to roughly 0, and as soon as I start AWM, it spikes a bit and gets back to 3-4%

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 03/11/2021 18:48:02

It also triggers a 3-4% CPU usage with Windows Explorer. When I exit AWM Explorer CPU usage drops to roughly 0, and as soon as I start AWM, it spikes a bit and gets back to 3-4%

P.S. sorry, didn't realize I could not add multiple images to a reply or that I can not edit a previous comment if I posted a newer one, so I kind of messed it up with the wording between these 2 last messages, but you should get the point

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 03/15/2021 19:20:11

Further observations,

I just had my work laptop automatically lock after 15 mins of inactivity, when I unlocked it most of the windows which were on the second monitor were moved to my primary.
One other minor note, sometimes when I minimize windows (so far just by clicking on their corresponding taskbar buttons) they also get moved from my secondary monitor to my primary, but never from my primary to my secondary.

Kind regards

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/16/2021 00:05:45

Corneliu,

You wrote about the tray icons problem:
The issue happens both on my work laptop as well as on my home PC

Is the version and build of Windows the same on both these computers? If not, then could you specify what the other version is and on what computer it's installed.

Over the years I've been using VGA, HDMI & DP
Do you mean you're sure the problem also persisted when you only connected a monitor/monitors via VGA interface?

What interfaces you use now to connect the monitors to your laptop and to your home PC? Do you use any USB video adapters or a docking station (in case of the laptop)?

it auto locks in 15 mins as per the company policy
Could you clarify how you accomplish this? Do you use the standard Windows screen saver settings and specify (none) as screen saver and enable the "On resume, display logon screen" option?

What are your sleep mode time settings?

Do you use AWM taskbars on both displays? If not and there is the system taskbar on the primary monitor, then tell whether the problem persists for the system taskbar as well or only for the AWM taskbar.

Could you send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)?

About the problem with CPU utilization - does it persist on both of your computers as well?

One other minor note, sometimes when I minimize windows (so far just by clicking on their corresponding taskbar buttons) they also get moved from my secondary monitor to my primary
Could you decribe it more detailed? Do I understand correctly that it doesn't involve screen lock or sleep mode? Do you mean you use the "Individual" taskbar mode for AWM takbars, then minimize an app on the secondary monitor and its taskbar button stays on the secondary monitor. Then you restore the application and it's moved to the primary monitor along with its taskbar button?

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 03/19/2021 18:32:47

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, it's been busy lately. Please find below answers to your questions. I have also emailed you the AWM's settings for my work laptop, linking to this issue.

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Is the version and build of Windows the same on both these computers? If not, then could you specify what the other version is and on what computer it's installed.
Different W10 Pro versions:
- work laptop: v2004 b19041.804 (can not update to latest due to company policies)
- home pc: v20H2 b19042.867

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Do you mean you're sure the problem also persisted when you only connected a monitor/monitors via VGA interface?
While in the office, I had 1 HDMI and 1 VGA (older monitor) connected to my work laptop, and yes the problem was reproducible.

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
What interfaces you use now to connect the monitors to your laptop and to your home PC? Do you use any USB video adapters or a docking station (in case of the laptop)?
Right now I'm working from home so both units are connected to the same monitors via an 2x2 HDMI KVM switch

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Could you clarify how you accomplish this? Do you use the standard Windows screen saver settings and specify (none) as screen saver and enable the "On resume, display logon screen" option?

What are your sleep mode time settings?
As per the company's auto-enforced policies, all laptops lock automatically after 15 mins of inactivity and the displays power off after 20 (no screensaver configured). It's the same as pressing WIN+L on the keyboard.

The power settings are as follows:
- screen: on battery turn off after 5 min, when plugged in turn off after 20 min
- sleep: on battery sleep after 5 mins, when plugged in never go to sleep

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Do you use AWM taskbars on both displays? If not and there is the system taskbar on the primary monitor, then tell whether the problem persists for the system taskbar as well or only for the AWM taskbar.
Yes, I use the AWM taskbar on both displays

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
About the problem with CPU utilization - does it persist on both of your computers as well?
My home PC has a more powerful configuration than the work laptop so it's not that noticeable. The 2 AWM processes use roughly 1% (they vary between 0.5 and 0.7), and Explorer varies between 0.7 and 1%. When I stop AWM Explorer drops to 0.1 most of the time. During start/stop of AWM Explorer spikes to 11-15% and then drops back to 0.7-1%

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Could you decribe it more detailed? Do I understand correctly that it doesn't involve screen lock or sleep mode? Do you mean you use the "Individual" taskbar mode for AWM takbars, then minimize an app on the secondary monitor and its taskbar button stays on the secondary monitor. Then you restore the application and it's moved to the primary monitor along with its taskbar button?
I use individual taskbars on the 2 monitors while also replacing the system taskbar.
What I mean is, suppose I have a Chrome window on monitor 2. I minimize it, and it immediately gets moved to monitor 1, its taskbar button included. Nothing stays on 2.
Also sometimes, the taskbars flickers and the taskbar buttons on monitor 1 get reordered. I have configured my taskbars to be wider with 2 rows of buttons cause I usually have many apps open (chrome, firefox, intellij idea, notepad++, explorer, outlook, postman, microsoft teams, etc). For example, I have 2 buttons for Chrome at the begging of the first row (left side). Taskbars randomly flicker (no locking, no sleep, just regular use), the 2 Chrome taskbar buttons get moved to the second row at the end (right side). I have noticed this so far only on my work laptop cause I use it more than my PC.

BR

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register