Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM crashes Affinity , AWM prevents Affinity (all programs) from running » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7093

Philip Marquard

Posted: 06/25/2020 00:06:12

Affinity has a suite of programs consisting of Designer, Photo and Publisher (https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/).

The Affinity programs have a problem with Actual Window Manager.

When starting say Designer it starts up but when opening the splash screen Designer closes down again.
If starting Designer by double clicking an .afdesign file Designer opens as expected (my guess: because the splash screen isn't loaded).

Adding Designer to the exclusion list of Actual Window Manager solves this problem.

Photo and Publisher has the same problem when starting; adding these programs to the exclusion list of Actual Window Manager solves the problem.

Would it be possible to look into this problem and see if you can solve it? I know the problem can be circumvented but having used Actual Window Manager for years I concentrated on Affinity; it took me long to realise that Actual Window Manager was the culprit.

Actual Windows Manager version 8.14.3
Affinity Designer version 1.8.3.641

Thank you.

PS:
Your "I am not a robot"-test when signing up for the forum is way too hard to read. Which means that either I am a robot or only robots can actually read them. No, seriously, it is way too hard to read - I was about to give up.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/30/2020 19:47:47

Hello, Philip

Thank you for contacting us.

The problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

I've tested this with Affinity Designer and indeed, the application closes as soon as the welcome screen appears. This happens only if the extra title buttons are enabled in the settings of AWM that are applied to the window. If you haven't created specific settings for the application and this window, then Default Settings are applied to it. For now, as workaround, you can create specific settings for the welcome screen and disable all title buttons in the settings (Specific Settings for the Welcome screen > Title Buttons). Make sure you disable all the buttons in the list and the Grouping button in the bottom part of the section. The parameters you should use in the "Target window" section of the settings are the following:
Window class: HwndWrapper[Designer.exe;;] - Shell Embedding
Program: \Designer.exe

Here you can learn about how to create specific settings for a window.

Or you can disable the Welcome screen to avoid this problem.

Could you also confirm that workaround solves the problem for other applications of the Affinity suite as well?

Best regards.

Vargr

Posted: 07/19/2020 13:40:10

Sorry for being late getting back to you - I assumed I would get an email when a reply appeared in "my" thread (probably a setup fault on my part).

I simply excluded the Affinity welcome screen fr om AWM after which I have no trouble. It is no big loss since I don't need to handle the welcome screen anyway. This enables me to use the AWM features on the proper Affinity windows (and that is wh ere I need the AWM features).

The challenge was, that I couldn't figure out why my Affinity suite consistently crashed - I have been using AWM for so long now that I simply forget it is there.

I did experience the crash problem on all three Affinity programs (Designer, Photo and Publisher). Excluding all three programs' welcome screen solved the problem for all three programs.

I am glad you will look into it.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register