Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Unable to restore default settings » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5588

dominick heugas

Posted: 04/09/2020 22:01:19

Downloaded AMM just for shits and giggles. Wanted to hook it up to my TV and see how it worked. I'd like to eventually buy another monitor for my computer. I started messing around with some things in the app and now I can't change my desktop background back to what it was. I can't change it to anything actually. The background is just all black. Not sure what I did to mess this up honestly and I have no idea what I can do to set it back to its defaults. I have no need for AMM at the moment so I'vs tried uninstalling it and that doesn't work either. It seems AMM changed some internal settings that I'm unaware of. Even when I go to my computers display settings it doesn't allow me to set a background. Any insight would be appreciated.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/10/2020 01:38:55

Hello, Dominick

Thank you for contacting us.

Were you able to successfully uninstall Actual Multiple Monitors?

Even when I go to my computers display settings it doesn't allow me to set a background.
Could you clarify what exactly happens when you're trying to change the background picture via the system Personalization settings panel?

What are the background settings in the Personalisation panel when you open it?

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The Window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

dominick heugas

Posted: 04/10/2020 12:28:12

Yes I was able to uninstall AMM.

When I attempt to change my background via the system personalization settings it doesn't allow me to select a background. one of 3 things happen. When I click the drop down menu to select Picture - solid color - or slideshow and I select picture it will either send me back to the solid color option or it will allow me to select  picture but nothing will change or it'll allow me to select a picture but when selected it'll snap back to only the solid color option.

Attached I have a screenshot of what my background settings are.

And for my windows build: Version 1903 (OS build 18362.720)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/11/2020 01:46:28

Dominick,

The problem seems to be not associated with Actual Multiple Monitors, but with the extension of the desktop area due to connection of the external monitor.

The problem may be associated with the fact there is the limitation to the size of the final desktop wallpaper file in the system, and extension of the desktop area indirectly leads to increase of the file size. Could you open the Registry Editor (press Win+R, then type "regedit" and press Enter) and go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop subkey. See the value of the "MaxVirtualDesktopDimension" parameter and let us know it.

Is the external monitor still connected? If yes, then specify what resolutions the monitors have?

Then disconnect the external monitor and see the "MaxVirtualDesktopDimension" parameter value again.

Also tell, images of what format and size you try to set as the desktop bakground? Could you try some not large .jpeg file – does the problem persist?

Best regards.

dominick heugas

Posted: 04/11/2020 12:42:34

Attached is a screenshot of the MaxVirtualDesktopDimension parameter. I have no idea what I'm looking at lol so I hope I got it right.

As for the external monitor, I never had one connected. I downloaded AMM just to mess around with it.

The image I am attempting to set as my background, which was my background before this problem started, is a .jpeg file. I tried other pictures at different sizes under a different format, PNG etc..., and that didn't work either.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/13/2020 19:18:44

Dominick,

It seems like the problem is associated with something else in your case. The value of the MaxVirtualDesktopDimension parameter is usually higher when the problem takes place. But you can try to change the value of the parameter to 1920 (the same as MaxMonitorDimension parameter has), restart the system and see whether it helps.

Actual Multiple Monitors is unlikely to cause this problem, especially if the problem stays after deinstallation of the program.

Were there any system or drivers updates recently on your computer?

Also, you can try the solutions described in this article: How To Fix Black Desktop Background In Windows.

Let us know the results.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register