Login
Register

Messages 11 - 19 of 19
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Screensaver issue on 4k » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 62699

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 06/18/2020 09:49:10

actual window manager attempts to "wake up" Note
Could you clarify what you mean by this?

I'll try. but i think i will just take a freaking video of this, because that's the only way you'll really get what i mean, i think.

Basically on my left and right monitors, i sometimes for an instant after waking the monitors from a dead sleep, see the taskbars, (if the screen wakes up fast enough) they then disappear, and no, they are not being moved to the primary display I know this, because one of my taskbars is oriented to the left, and if it was being moved to the primary display i would see it on the left side of my screen, within an instant, they disappear. I think (i will double check) the native windows task bar is what displays on the primary display. this can be identified by whether or not it has a recycle bin icon. at this time, the program seems to be crashed, and attempts to recover it's self, i say "attempts", because i'm pretty sure i have seen it fail, crash again, and attempt to self recover.

Could you see whether the windows are moved to the primary monitor when AWM is not running.
I think i tested this already and when AWM was not active it did not happen ( i will double test this again and upd ate to be sure ) I believe when AWM is disabled, everything works normally, in fact, if i can get task manager to open while AWM is.. struggling.. and can end the task, everything immediately is fine. this is what leads me to conclude that it must be directly related to AWM. like i say, i will double test this right now to make sure, i'm sure my memory of this is not perfect, despite how regularly i deal with this issue.

Edit: just went to right click on AWM in system tray to close it and it didn't open a context menu and my taskbars disappeared, except the primary which does show the AWM one (replace system taskbar is enabled) i'm about to kill it with task manager.

AWM is now closed & immediately the system seems like it's running at a higher frame rate. everything is snappier, My expensive gaming PC feels like an expensive gaming PC.

OK. here's what i did and this actually makes me less certain. firstly, when i closed AWM, i checked power settings and i did not have the displays set to sleep with windows, so i enabled it. i then let the displays fall asleep. when they did, it DID push all the windows to the primary display, and the displays went black several times, similar to how AWM does, but still quite distinctly different. i definitely saw the extra taskbars when the screens woke, but they went blank, then disappeared, then showed back up, then blank then disappeared then the screen went blank, my monitors re-detected their input source and then everything was fine, the whole ordeal took about 5-10 seconds. I can live with that over the crippling 60-120 seconds it takes to re-se t with AWM running. what i can't live with, is vanilla windows.

I'll further investigate if this can be fixed within windows, but any suggestions would be appreciated. i even tried some solutions from other forums involving editing registry entries to manually supply windows with the correct resolutions of my displays, but that seems to have done nothing..

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 06/19/2020 01:02:56

Okay, so i may have had some success here, i haven't tested anything, but i've made some changes that seem to have made an impact. AWM is running and my PC doesn't feel slow at all, i still have to test the sleep recovery issue, but i'm optimistic. I followed the best answer on this post:

superuser

specifically;

Simply delete the whole HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Graphics­Drivers\Configuration, it works as well and it's faster. – FarO Oct 25 '16 at 21:55

that's basically what i did. i deleted the entire configuration folder, as for some reason it was populated with tons of monitors and configurations that were not there last time i messed with it, then i unplugged all my monitors display ports fr om the graphics card, and physically re-organized them so that left to right was 1, 2, 3. Now i rebooted, & when windows booted up i checked the graphics drivers configuration it now looks like this:
User added an image

Additionally, each screen has it's configuration, configured correctly now & they are all effectively identical:
User added an image

at this point, it seems like windows the 10 year old, needs it's hand held and to have monitors in exactly the configuration it expects, or it breaks down and has a tantrum. I'll still have to run more tests, but i'm cautiously optemistic, and have at least seem some success in the matter. Seems like it might have been windows all along, and AWM was just struggling to deal with it, like the rest of us.

Fingers crossed..

Edit;

Okay, so, i let the screens fall asleep, and yeah, windows still seems to "forget" about them when they go to sleep. they still shove all the open windows to the primary display, they still flicker like crazy, and the task bars disappear and reappear.... But! it didn't take a solid 60 seconds to 2 minutes. Probably less than 30 seconds, so this is still a major improvement if this continues. if that's the best i can get it, i can live with that.. it still seems pathetic that it is <current year> and Microsoft, a multi billion dollar company, can't handle multiple displays, while The Linux Foundation, a free, community of mostly volunteers, has had this feature for probably decades at this point. :/

Edit 2:
holy crap, i think i might have done it. This was the most ridiculous thing ever.

So. expanding on my previous edit, i rebooted again, and checked the registry again this time i saw a new registry key;
Code
SIMULATED_10DE_1B81_00000026_00000000_26100^00982B2C650A7EB3717EE567BEDB7D25

this had only 1 sub entry called 00 i noticed this had exactly the same configuration as the 00 folder under the
Code
SAM0F58HTOM400057_0E_07E3_2D+SAM0F58HTOM100545_04_07E3_38+SAM0F58H4ZMA01806_2C_07E3_0D^F690E8AC41513CF92948A41243E3E716

except the values were different, they were set to 1024x768

that's where it clicked. It's for whatever reason creating "simulated" displays i won't pretend to understand why, but i realized this was exactly what was happening, it was again, for reasons unknown, defaulting to [/U]THIS when the screens were woken back up. it makes sense

So;

Here's what i did. using a program called Registry Workshop i copied the contents of
Code
SAM0F58HTOM400057_0E_07E3_2D+SAM0F58HTOM100545_04_07E3_38+SAM0F58H4ZMA01806_2C_07E3_0D^F690E8AC41513CF92948A41243E3E716

to the
Code
SIMULATED_10DE_1B81_00000026_00000000_26100^00982B2C650A7EB3717EE567BEDB7D25

key

then, i changed the string "setid"'s value to

SIMULATED_10DE_1B81_00000026_00000000_26100
(just remove the part after ^ in my case)

rebooted, opened a bunch of windows, let the screens go to sleep

and HOLY *********************************************************************!

everything stayed wh ere it was supposed to be. nothing had digital spasms.

Now, i haven't tested this with AWM running, but i'm 90% sure this was the issue all along. everything makes so much sense, and so little sense at the same time. either way, i'll be back if i see any more problems.

Edit 3:

Never mind. it's still shoving all the windows to the primary display, but it's not resizing anything anymore at least, the spasm time is only about 5-10 seconds now (windows only)

Edit 4:

With awm, it is significantly worse. better than before, but still about 30-60 seconds of system slowness and stuttering, then it catches up and everything is fine.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/04/2020 18:45:22

Hello, Jaiden

Sorry for the delay and thank you for the detailed information. We'll definitely take more time to look into this solution as some our users also report this problem, although the significant part of the problem may be associated with the system and not with our software.

With awm, it is significantly worse. better than before, but still about 30-60 seconds of system slowness and stuttering, then it catches up and everything is fine.
As for this problem, we have plans to improve this behavior. Hopefully, we'll able to do this soon. We'll post in this topic, when it's fixed.

Could you also open the Reliability Monitor (in the Search box of the taskbar type reliability and press Enter for View Reliability History) and look for the critical events around the time when the problem with what you call "soft crash" persisted (before you applied the described solution). The critical events are marked with red circles. See whether there are critical events associated with the ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.exe process around that time. If you're able to find one, then go to the %LOCALAPPDATA% folder in Windows explorer and see whether there is the CrashDumps folder. See whether there is the dump file in the folder with the name of the process ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.exe from the time of the critical event. Try to send it to bogdan@actualtools.com or upload the file on some file hosting service and provide us a link to it.

Best regards.

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 10/12/2020 06:10:05

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll verify this next time i witness issue occur, but i do see a fairly regular occurrence of straight up explorer.exe crashing here's the description of the crash

Code
Description
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp: 0xb1a44bf9
Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp: 0xa3987cb7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000c036
Faulting process ID: 0x2d3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69920754d32e0
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\SHELL32.dll
Report ID: 2585e31d-360d-487d-a89f-6b2076089e73
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Though, this may have nothing to do with it. & I currently have no crash dumps from ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.

However, from my previous testing i basically confirmed it to be more of a windows problem than an Actual tools problem. I only partly understand it, but it seems that Windows creates "virtual instances" of your displays for when they go to sleep. I don't understand why this is in the slightest, but anyways, seemingly whenever i reboot (or look at it the wrong way, idk) the virtual instances saved in the registry are disregarded or refreshed. One would think it would use your active display profiles as a reference for creating these, but it seems to just do what it wants. this is how my registry appears after basically ignoring the issue since my last post.

User added an image

If you'd like, here's a dump of the entire registry entry; https://pastebin.com/DvJ4A9xx

Thanks again for your support.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/13/2020 03:23:50

Hello, Jaiden

I'm glad to notify you that we've made some changes in our software that should improve the performance in this situation and eliminate the described lags. The fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.4 and our other products as well.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually. Could you please try this version and let us know whether it improves the performance.

Best regards.

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 10/13/2020 09:38:11

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, Jaiden

I'm glad to notify you that we've made some changes in our software that should improve the performance in this situation and eliminate the described lags. The fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.4 and our other products as well.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually. Could you please try this version and let us know whether it improves the performance.

Best regards.

Hah! typical. right after my free upgrades expire you patch my favourite bug that i've been struggling with for a year.  :D

I guess it's time to renew then, but oh man will i be grumpy if it doesn't fix it now that you've got my hopes up.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/15/2020 21:36:40

Jaiden,

To check whether the bug is fixed or not, there's no need in purchasing a new key: just install the new version and check it out - even with an expired free updates, the new version will work for half an hour a day. I believe it should be enough to quickly check the fix.

If it's not fixed then you can roll back to your current version.

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 10/21/2020 07:59:43

Alex Fadeyev wrote:
Jaiden,

To check whether the bug is fixed or not, there's no need in purchasing a new key: just install the new version and check it out - even with an expired free updates, the new version will work for half an hour a day. I believe it's should be enough to quickly check the fix.

If it's not fixed then you can roll back to your current version.

Hah. didn't know that, resubscribed anyways. But i'm glad i did. the problem as it stands, is about 99% solved with this new update. The only issue is that all my windows are still shoved back to my main display, but, that i can live with. i wouldn't be surprised if a fresh install of windows helped too. it's been over 6 months since i reinstalled last and i've been meaning to.

Thanks so much for the hard work on this fix. i can now go back to loving every bit of this software!

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/24/2020 15:31:55

Jaiden,

Thank you for the feedback, that's really great news! As for

my windows are still shoved back to my main display

- did you try to utilize the Bind the layout to the desktop geometry feature? It's intended to solve problems like yours.

Messages 11 - 19 of 19
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register